Several Cooling Issues - Page 2

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Grand Cherokee Technical Forum

CherokeeTalk.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2019, 08:06 AM   #16
Gluckmysock
Super MOD! Yeah Baby!!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Garage

The fan clutch will spin relatively easy by hand when the engine is cold. maybe 1 or 2 revolutions then stop. As the engine heats up it will get tighter and be harder to spin. this is normal operation. Mine would sound like a jet engine when it was fully engaged. I don't have one now since I installed another electric fan. Back to your problem.

When you move your heat control to defrost, it will cause the A/C compressor to cycle on and off, this is normal and keeps your compressor from locking up over winter. When the compressor is on, the aux fan should also come on.

I did some research, which I should have done earlier. I apologize. And found that there is a fan control module that is controlled by the fan relay. That may be what is under the headlight. I have included wiring diagrams which may help.

May 2015, June 2017 & December 2018 Modified Cherokee XJ of the Month
December 2013 Stock Class Cherokee of the month
Gluckmysock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2019, 08:33 AM   #17
Michael Jordan
Experienced

Garage

So, what I discern from this (bear with me, I'm not good with auto electronics) is that the fan relay is located in the PCM in the engine compartment right next to my battery and that the fan control module is what's under the passenger side headlight, which means there could be 2 possible contributors to my problem(?).
Old 12-01-2019, 09:39 AM   #18
Gluckmysock
Super MOD! Yeah Baby!!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Jordan View Post
So, what I discern from this (bear with me, I'm not good with auto electronics) is that the fan relay is located in the PCM in the engine compartment right next to my battery and that the fan control module is what's under the passenger side headlight, which means there could be 2 possible contributors to my problem(?).
Yes!.

Old 12-01-2019, 10:33 AM   #19
Michael Jordan
Experienced

Garage

Cool! Thanks for all your responses, Gluckmysock! You all have helped me. Much appreciated!

MJ
Old 12-02-2019, 04:22 PM   #20
Michael Jordan
Experienced

Garage

Well, I took a look for a radiator fan relay in the PCM and all I've got is a 40A fuse. So, the best I can tell is that the fan control module is what I've got and it's below the passenger side headlight.

Sound right?

MJ
Old 12-06-2019, 09:33 AM   #21
wjlizard
Veteran

Well sorry I'm late to this ... I checked my pdc aND no relay either . I also just have fuse 10 40 amp for the rad fan.took head lights out and don't see anything. Must be under the black plastic that runs the width of the front. As far as a mech fan , unless you or someone else installed a bigger electric fan you need one . And even if a bigger one was installed I don't think it is functioning properly when you didn't have this issue. The electric fan installed factory on mine does not pull enough air alone to cool vehicle and is only ment to assist with cooling in high demand situations like towing or running your a/c. I'm not aware of any 4.0l without a mech fan from factory in the WJ family (but not saying there may not be).....some pics of my 4.0l with mech fan ,smooth water pump pully (reverse ) also not a good pic but is this what your electric fan looks like? And one other thing it could also be a bad pcm .

Old 12-06-2019, 06:08 PM   #22
Gluckmysock
Super MOD! Yeah Baby!!

Garage

Nice pics Don. But Damn! Bro! You got to get the beast back together, I'm tired of lying to Gemini about where you been!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Jeep Cherokee Forums > Jeep Grand Cherokee Technical Forum