Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The radio (stock) will not fuction and shows only the time display that power is seemingly lost, however the system battery is fine and when it is disconnected and reconnected the radio will function normally. It seems as though there may be a lithium or rechargeable battery in the radio itself and this battery no longer holds a charge when the system and the radio are turned off. The 15amp fuse in the block is ok. It's probably a simple fix , but it's got me baffled. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you. :dunno:

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
So when exactly doesn't the radio function? You say you disconnect then reconnect the battery of the rig, and when you do that the radio will work without issue. So when you shut off the rig after driving it, and go to restart it, is that when the radio doesn't work?

Didn't really follow your initial post all that well. :dunno:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dave,
The radio will work if I have it on and then turn off the ignition and immediately turn on the ignition. Hours can lapse and the radio will still function normally when I turn on the ignition. What's wierd is if the ignition is off, say overnight, and then turned on, the radio will display a time which is not correct (seems as though it may be displaying time last held in memory) and nothing else on the radio will function. If I pull out the 15amp fuse in the block then reinsert it there is no change.
However, if I disconnect power at the battery and reconnect, the radio will reset the clock at 12.00 and function normally. :dunno: It just seems like a rechargeable battery in the radio loses charge after x number of hours and renders the radio inoperable and is reset when the cpu is reenergized. I don't believe this is the case, though...seems a little farfetched. Hope I made myself clear, it's really strange. I appreciate your input.
Thanx, Ed

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
you have a short in your radio check all grounds for your wiring then f that dont fix it you may have to get a new radio and rewire the system.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
It to be unscrewed after you pop off the bezel around the center section just grab it at the bottom and pull litely and it will pop off to revel the screws you need to remove.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts