Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Another issue with my '04. Was running great and suddenly started running horribly. Threw the scanner on it and got "Ignition Coil Primary Secondary Circuit B" so with 165K on her and not knowing when the plugs were last changed, I got plugs and a new coil rail. Also installed new injectors and fuel filter at the same time. Wellllll it still has a miss, still throwing the same code...I checked the wiring going into the coil rail, it all appears to look fine but I will admit, wiring is my weakest area...
Any ideas of where I should look next? I did pull the plugs and plug #1 and # 4 are black in spite of being brand new with 0 miles....

·
Premium Member
10,533 Posts
Did it tell you which cylinder had a miss?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did it tell you which cylinder had a miss?

No- it just stated the above- pulling the plugs, it was obvious that # 4 was not firing as it was blackened. This happened all at once so I ordered the new coil assembly (all are made into one rail) new plugs, and since I had an injector that was sporadically acting up, all new multi hole injectors and a new fuel filter- I did all the work at once- and while replacing the injectors, noticed some wiring that was bare running to # 3 injector so replaced that wiring and inspected the rest for cracks, etc...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should clarify- the new plug # 4 was blackened from just a few minutes run time- yes I did a compression check- 170 across all cyl +/- 8 lbs

·
Premium Member
10,533 Posts
At this point I would be checking the resistance on the coil. But you need an ohm meter for that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did go through the battery terminals just to eliminate that- I had my son put his Fluke meter on the new coil rail- it is fine....so I will dig into the wiring harness tomorrow to see if there are any broken wires.. When I first got the jeep- it was difficult to start- to do so, you needed to turn the key on, give it a moment (I buckle my seat belt) then continue to crank it up- if you failed to give it this 2 step process, it would just spin and not fire up...part of me is thinking that the fuel pump is suspect- I need to see if I can get a gauge to verify that...the other thought I had is that maybe the crankshaft position sensor has failed but it should throw a code for that if that was the culprit...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you still have warranty period? I think these problems will stem from the battery. You should try to check it out. But it's still best to bring it to a mechanic for review

1 - 8 of 8 Posts