Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Just bought an 08 3.0 CRD 4x2 for the wife. 42k miles. She loves it. Problem is that the low o/p light comes on above 70 mph (about 2500 rpm.) Slow a bit and it goes out. Chime sounds once, not continuously. Oil filter is clean (not making metal). Correct oil and correct filter. Exactly 10 quarts in the crankcase. Not leaking, not burning oil. I could understand low pressure at idle, but high speed? Is it aeration? Oil pump screen blocked? Is there a crankcase vent filter that could be plugged, causing it to suck air into the dipstick????? Please tell me I'm not the first to see this... :brickwall:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Problem solved. Bought it used, right? From day one, the o/p light was a problem. Since you don't want to read the whole saga, I'll boil it down; The oil filter element slips over a central piece on the housing cap. That central piece (now known as the 'thingy') has the bypass valve in it. Thinking that the bypass valve could be causing the trouble, I ordered a new thingy. It comes as an assy with the cap. When the new thingy arrived, it didn't quite look like the one that came on the car. The bottom piece of the thingy was broken off of the original. That bottom piece consists of a plug, of sorts, onto which an o-ring mounts. Since putting the new thingy on, no more issues.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts