Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My buddy picked up a running '92 Geo Tracker for $50. We thought about lifting it and throwing some 33s under it, but after taking it up in the woods behind his house and powering out in low range 1st gear, we realized the mighty 1.6L was a lost cause. So we decided a motor swap would have to come before anything else. Clearly a V8 and a T400 aren't going to fit under a Geo Tracker (comfortably), so we thought we'd lengthen the frame, add some tubing, yadda yadda yadda.

We decided that would be too much work, and we'd still be left with the dinky Tracker frame. Luckily, we know people. :D A few hours later we had ourselves a Ford F-250 extended cab, long bed frame with the old school Ford IFS and a Sterling 10.25, on 36" military tires (free). We got the Tracker off its frame, rolled the Ranger cab that had been mounted on the old Ford frame off, pulled the 460 big block, C6 4-speed, and NP208 to give back to the frame's original owner, and set the Tracker body in place. Needless to say the full-size frame is a little long (about 5 feet too long), but we've got plans for that.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the first pic of the 1-ton Tracker:

More to come. :rock:

·
Banned
851 Posts
Trackers are so much fun to build.. Nice start..

And just for a note you can fit a 350 under the hood on a Tracker but it's WAY tight..... I've seen it done once..

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trackers are so much fun to build.. Nice start..

And just for a note you can fit a 350 under the hood on a Tracker but it's WAY tight..... I've seen it done once..
Well we've got plenty of room now. :D The plan is to remove the inner fenders and cage the front with tubing and add some flat fenders. That will give us plenty of room for the motor. We know of a running 302, but we'll have to see what kind of deals we can find. Most likely a Chevy SB whatever we go with.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
TrueBlueXJ for President! :thumbsup: I can't wait to see how this turns out. Awesome rigs are born this way and i have a feeling about this one. :rock:

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TrueBlueXJ for President! :thumbsup: I can't wait to see how this turns out. Awesome rigs are born this way and i have a feeling about this one. :rock:
:D:D

He was changing the plugs in the 1.6 while I was changing out my headlight switch in the XJ, when he broke a spark plug off in the cylinder. We tried an easy out but it just pissed us off. 24 hours later and it looks like it does in that pic. :rofl:

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
:D:D

He was changing the plugs in the 1.6 while I was changing out my headlight switch in the XJ, when he broke a spark plug off in the cylinder. We tried an easy out but it just pissed us off. 24 hours later and it looks like it does in that pic. :rofl:
HAHA I hope you don't have trouble with the windshield wipers....there goes the windshield....:rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
27 Posts
awe
soe tacker.my buddy has one and it is just an awesome vehicle.hes got a 3 inch calmini and 3 inch body lift with 33 inch xterrains.it loves cracking front diffs though so its time to step it up a bit.keep us posted so i can get some ideas.sorry for the crappy pic

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
awesmoe tacker.my buddy has one and it is just an awesome vehicle.hes got a 3 inch calmini and 3 inch body lift with 33 inch xterrains.it loves cracking front diffs though so its time to step it up a bit.keep us posted so i can get some ideas.sorry for the crappy pic

Nice. What kinda drivetrain does he have in that thing? The 1.6 is extremely underpowered, but it can be done.

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With proper gearing a lot can be done to an underpowered rig.
That's what I was referring to, though I'm not too familiar with the axle setup in these things. The rear looks like a bastardized Ford 9", and the front is just an odd looking creature. The aftermarket on these things clearly wasn't a concern. :rofl:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice. What kinda drivetrain does he have in that thing? The 1.6 is extremely underpowered, but it can be done.
its still a 1.6.underpowered yea,but gets the job done.

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update:

Got a good bit done on Friday since we both had a day off from work, and we had to forgo Saturday to attend a Jeep ride. :D

First thing's first, just to show you how ridiculously long this frame was when we started:

So we went ahead and cut the rivets out that hold the rear leaf springs in place:

And moved the axle forward to where we'd like our wheelbase to end up. We cut a few feet off the back of the frame, but not as much as WILL be cut when all's said and done:

And a shot of the rear:

Without a drivetrain yet, we decided to tackle some of the body repairs that needed to be taken care of. The original owner had a leaky soft top he decided to do nothing about, so most of the floor boards behind the front seats is shot:

So out with the old...

And in with the new, using some of the scrap metal I acquired from work:

The cargo area still needs to be finished, and the area behind the seats, but that will have to wait for another weekend. The original owner of the frame has decided he only wants the 460 big block, and that we can have the C-6 transmission and NP208 transfer case, so now our sights are set on a Ford motor instead of a Chevy. We're thinking a 351 Modified would suit this beast just fine. :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts