Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if you can get a 15x8 spare with 235 75R 15 tire to fit on the inside holder of an XJ 90

·
Premium Member
9,886 Posts
A 30 inch tire is about the limit for the inside mount. 8" wheel would work depending on the offset

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
A 30 inch tire is about the limit for the inside mount. 8" wheel would work depending on the offset
Offset is 20 of the wheel, Diameter is 29 inches of the tire.

·
Premium Member
9,886 Posts
I don't know, you will just have to try it. Might have to lengthen the tie down bolt

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well I got my spare today and tried it but it did not fit. The tire seems to fit in there but rod comes up short. I called the the dealer and he said the Cherokees came with eiher of two rods a short one or a longer one. I had him order the longer one in hopes that I have the shorter one. I did not measure it but when I talked to the dealer he gave me the measure in mm. I loaned out my tape measure to someone and never got it back so I did not have anything to measure with. Can not remember what size he told me it was right now.

So were you all able to get this spare in there without a modification?

Edit. I spoke with the salesman again he stated one was 125 mm and the longer was 174 mm. I found a tape measure and found that I had the shorter one for it was about 4 3/8. So hopefully when the longer one comes in it will fit my application and be able to use the same knob. Looks like it is tight fit up by the window but I will not know until I can mount it and close the hatch.

·
Super Moderator
1,143 Posts
Treaded rod and a coupler to extend the rod. Cost a couple bucks.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Treaded rod and a coupler to extend the rod. Cost a couple bucks.
Yes, I thought of that too, but the short rod finished inside the wheel. Means I would have to cut the rod shorter. Do not have a saw so I just went ahead and ordered the part.

·
Registered
739 Posts
You try turning the wheel around that's the only I could put a 32" on a stock xj wheel to fit in my girls grand.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You try turning the wheel around that's the only I could put a 32" on a stock xj wheel to fit in my girls grand.
My impression from talking to the dealer was that the Grand Cherokee came with the longer tie down bolt.
I oriented my wheel with the outside facing the window which was how the other spare was put in. I thought that was the shortest lengthwise. Since the other way would include the backspacing of 5.29". My bolt is only around 4.75 inches. The longer bolt is over 6" which I ordered.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
I believe the set up is the same in almost all the XJ years but I'm not 100% certain. With a little ingenuity you can get a 32" back there.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
Well look what the cat dragged in.... :D

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
My impression from talking to the dealer was that the Grand Cherokee came with the longer tie down bolt.
I oriented my wheel with the outside facing the window which was how the other spare was put in. I thought that was the shortest lengthwise. Since the other way would include the backspacing of 5.29". My bolt is only around 4.75 inches. The longer bolt is over 6" which I ordered.
Dont think too hard, you might hurt yourself. Im speaking from experience. You can find a coupling nut and either a bolt or a length of all thread and extend the factory bolt. I use that setup to hold my axe mount to the spare.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can confirm that the 15x8 with P235 75R 15 fits in there nicely once I upgraded to the 174 mm bolt.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,143 Posts
Strong work!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Part Number and Description for the 174mm rod is 52058965 ROD-SPARE

·
Super Moderator
1,143 Posts
Great info to add to the body of knowledge here.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm surprised you guys are able to tuck a 235/75 in there. I'll probably have to move my seat bracket forward.
So long as you have a rod that is long enough, you should not have any issue.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I ran one for years before going to 31s and a bumper carrier. No mods needed, just had the longer rod.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts