Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres a little backstory, this jeep hasn't shifted automatically since day one, we've had it about 3 or 4 years and we have just always shifted it manually to drive it. If you start out in D it starts out in really high gear, but if you shift manually it goes through all the gears really smoothly and once in D it stays in the right gear. Well today I got a wild hair and decided that I was going to try and fix it. So I did a little searching and found out how to check the TPS. With the multimeter connected to pins A and D I get 4.65v, and I read that my output on pins B and D should be 83% of my reference voltage, so 3.85 is should be what I'm shooting for on my output right? Well I adjusted it into spec and took it for a short drive and it still isn't shifting, also when it move the accelerator from closed to WOT it is a clean sweep on the multimeter, from 3.85v to .25v. So I checked the 7.5a trans fuse, and it was blown, so I replaced it with a 10a fuse, still does the same thing. Am I doing something wrong? Am I missing something? It's not a huge deal, but I just want to fix it... If everything is adjusted right and its still not shifting, does that mean my TCM is bad? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
10,255 Posts
Have you checked it for tranny codes? Blown fuse makes me suspicious

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Its a renix so no codes you probley need a new transmission control module... Id hit up a junk yard needs to be out of a 87 to 90 ok its on lower trim under glove box very easy but 90% sure its the issue... You will also find that you havent had second gear when you manual shift. Trust me renix guy here

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, just a quick question, is there any reason why you say its the TCM and not the shift solenoids? Because everyone here recently has said shift solenoids are my problem, but I've questioned them everytime....

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had the (mostly) the same problem on my 94 XJ. I just unplugged the TCM and have been driving it manually and so far it's fine.

Maybe one day I replace my TPS or solenoids or TCM depending on which I narrowed it to.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Ok, just a quick question, is there any reason why you say its the TCM and not the shift solenoids? Because everyone here recently has said shift solenoids are my problem, but I've questioned them everytime....
Well you can check the shift solenoinds by checking there resistance with an ohm meter i think if i remember right its 19 to 23 ohms on the solenoids. Plugs at back of engine near dip stick tube use your book for the pins

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same issue for me, i just did the tps, adjusted it properly, and it did not work, switched the tcm with a different one and shifts perfectly, I drained the old fluid and checked for debri, b4 I went into the electrical. Always ck easy shit first

1 - 7 of 7 Posts