Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am trying to decide if I should buy this 1988 Jeep Cherokee. $2800. I had it looked at, he said it needs brakes, oil change, transmission flush, possible lifter. Otherwise looks good, no rust, etc.
This is the post:
171,000 km
Zone lift 4.5
New Alternator
New battery
Recent tune up
Spare muffler that got cut off another jeep
Spare rad
Rubicon Express adjustable track bar and bracket
New steering box
New shocks
Off set rims
LED head lights
Good year Kevlar tires 265/70R16 approx.10 000 km on them

There is a loud ticking lifter sound that comes and goes when the engine is warm. Has been doing this for couple of years. Does not seem to effect performance. I drive it daily.

Reason for selling I need a truck so I can get a dirt bike.

THOUGHTS???

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
Not sure what part of the country you are in, but in general, not a bad price here in CA. Some heavier oil may solve the lifter problem

Reactions: TgRamsey

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in BC, Canada. Thanks for the lifter tip! I ended up buying it. The mechanic who checked it said he would if I didn't so I felt good about it. Hoping she lasts a while with good care.

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
They typically do go for at least 300K miles

Reactions: TgRamsey

·
Super Moderator
10,302 Posts
For some odd reason, Jeep Cherokee XJ's have been going up in value. Maybe because they are getting rarer? Unless there is a major problem with the transmission, I wouldn't do a flush, they generally create problems. Just change the fluid and filter and call it good. The lifter tick may not even be a lifter. I heard of people putting 100K miles on them sounding like diesels.

I would check out the brake system real good, make sure you don't have any cracked/dry rotted hoses. Look over all the steering components and front wheel bearings.

👍

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Nice, welcome aboard! Let see some pics!

·
Registered
142 Posts
For some odd reason, Jeep Cherokee XJ's have been going up in value. Maybe because they are getting rarer?
Over 20 years of abuse, sawsalls, jumping and general destruction will dwindle the supply of even the most produced vehicles. It's now not that uncommon to see a really clean stock example go for 10 grand on Bring a Trailer, sometimes more. Around her a sub 2000 dollar 4wd model will probably have some serious issue or may not even be running. If it's running expect 4+ grand. 2WD examples can still be found pretty cheap even clean ones, for now.

Reactions: Gluckmysock
1 - 7 of 7 Posts