Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is my first time posting and I'm kinda out of ideas with this one. All the lights worked when I bought it, the next day I came out from work to find I have no headlights, brake lights, running lights, or reverse lights. I still have turn signals and courtesy lights. All the fuses check out. When I checked for a bad ground I found there is no power going to any of the sockets. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
10,444 Posts
Start with the light switch in the dash, since that is the common denominator for all those issues. Check for power to the switch and from the switch. The headlights are in relays. But no brake lights is what makes me think it's with the switch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Start with the light switch in the dash, since that is the common denominator for all those issues. Check for power to the switch and from the switch. The headlights are in relays. But no brake lights is what makes me think it's with the switch.
That's the thing, I repalced the switch twice already. I know the original switch was bad (it wouldn't even turn on the dome light). Where are the relays for the headlights?

·
Super Moderator
10,444 Posts
I have diagrams for an 88 and a 91, they are as different as night and day. Not sure where yours falls into. Just an FYI, the 91 diagram list a daytime running light module (DRL) on the right side fender well. The 88 list a headlight delay module (no location given). So I can look for an 89 specific diagram when I get off work later today.
Also, they all have a headlight dimmer switch built into the turn signal switch (sometimes referred to as a multi-function switch). this could be bad. Try flicking your hi-low beams on and see if anything happens. give it a little twist to see if something internal is loose or broken. Do you have fog lights, if so, do they work?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts