Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Desperate and looking for a solution.

Hi, I'm new to the site and have a problem that we haven't been able to solve

I have a 1991 Cherokee with the 4.0, about 3-4" Lift with 31's. We are running into a problem where the front tires keep getting out of alignment. The steering seems tight. We had the side of the drag link by the steering box replaced, with a front end alignment. Being my son was still on his permit, it wasn't driven too much. About 6 months and 1,000 miles later, he started driving it regularly. Within 3-4 weeks, what appears to be the left tire was towed out. The adjustment tube was tightened and the steering wheel was still straight. Brought it back to the same shop, and they aligned again, but steering wheel was about 90 degrees off. The shop SWEARS that we replaced a part of the steering shaft because it looked new, and we DID NOT replace anything. They kept it for a week, and tried to get the wheel straight, and it was close.

Within 2 weeks, the SAME EXACT thing happened. We brought it to a different shop, and he said that those components did not seem to be a problem, so we decided to have then replace and align again. Low and behold, within 1 day (Less than 20 miles, the left tire was toe out AGAIN.

I asked my son if he was turning hard while not moving, and he said NO. He brought it back to the 2nd shop, and the tires somewhat corrected themselves (Less than 5 miles) and when he got to the shop, the tires were almost straight again. He has an appt tomorrow morning and I'm looking for any experience or ides for similar issues.

I don't know what else to do !!! Please HELP !!!

·
Super Moderator
11,147 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. Sorry about your issues. Post up some pics of the front end steering and suspension, close ups of the tie rods and from about 10 feet away. Unless your banging into some major potholes, that system should stay tight for longer than a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
10,527 Posts
welcome

without seeing any of it, I would guess bad ball joints. But, lets look at it and see if i am right

Reactions: 1991Cherokee

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. I will have my son take some pics and post. The ball joints seemed tight, and we live in PA, so Potholes are a way of life.

One additional comment - When it 1st happened, the drag link near the steering box had a gap of about 1", when it got aligned, the gap was almost closed. Other than that, I will see if I can get him to post pics as soon as I can.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum. Sorry about your issues. Post up some pics of the front end steering and suspension, close ups of the tie rods and from about 10 feet away. Unless your banging into some major potholes, that system should stay tight for longer than a few weeks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 1st pic is of the newest drag link
The 2nd pic is basically with the wheels straight, but earlier today the left was toed out and nothing was done mechanically to correct it, it just straightened out on it's own
The 3rd ic is of when it happened the 1st time, before 2 front end alignments and replacing the drag ling and adjustment bar

·
Premium Member
10,527 Posts
Doesn't look like there is any adjustment left to make the drag link shorter. So which direction is the steering wheel rotated when the wheels are straight?

Reactions: 1991Cherokee

·
Super Moderator
11,147 Posts
The pic of the front end is nice, but we need one from about a foot off the ground. we are trying to see all your steering linkage. What part of PA, I'm 60 miles south of Pittsburgh.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Hard to tell by the angle of the pics, but in the second one, it looks like driver side tire is tilted in at the top. Looks like I can see daylight under the edge of the tire at bottom. Again, could just be angle of pic. Jack the jeep up and place your hands at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions and try to see if the tire rocks top to bottom at all. Could indicate bad ball joint or wheel bearing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for everyone's input. We brought it back to the shop today, and had everything checked. The Drag Link has not moved since it was replaced earlier in the week. They checked ball joints, steering components, checked rear springs to make sure the back rear wasn't shifting. They bounce, shook, shimmied, turned and whatever else they could do, they did.

At this point, we're basically at the point that we're going to run with it as is and hope all is well or whatever is causing the issue, BREAKS.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts