Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 XJ :thumbsup: with a NP231 transfer case and automatic transmission. When I pull the 4x4 lever, I can only engage 4HI, and the lever wont even slide past the neutral position. I was told this could be the grommet/gears or the drivechain in the casing. Has anyone else had this issue?

Also, I wanted to know is there a manual transmission available for the 4.0 XJ? If so, is it a hydraulic transmission?

I need to know, I have a 4" Rancho suspension lift with stock 15x7 and 32x11.5x15 tires. I noticed its feeling a little top heavy, so I wanted to know if I bought wheels with a higher backspacing, could this correct that somewhat? I put 1.5" wheel spacers on it, but that made little difference.

And, last thing I swear, I have really loose steering, especially at higher speeds. I heard it called the death wobble, and that it could either possibly be my pittman arm or the castor angle.

Any answers you could offer I would really appreciate, as Im new to the XJ world. :brickwall:

Thanks,
Will.

·
Premium Member
11,622 Posts
I have a 1993 XJ :thumbsup: with a NP231 transfer case and automatic transmission. When I pull the 4x4 lever, I can only engage 4HI, and the lever wont even slide past the neutral position. I was told this could be the grommet/gears or the drivechain in the casing. Has anyone else had this issue?

You said you are lifted. Do you have a transfer case drop? Your shift linkage might needed adjusted. There's a rod that connected to the shift lever (under the body on driver's side, near t-case) and it has a small bolt on it. Loosen the bolt and adjust the linkage so it shifts into 4lo properly.

Also, I wanted to know is there a manual transmission available for the 4.0 XJ? If so, is it a hydraulic transmission?

Yes there are manual trannies.

I need to know, I have a 4" Rancho suspension lift with stock 15x7 and 32x11.5x15 tires. I noticed its feeling a little top heavy, so I wanted to know if I bought wheels with a higher backspacing, could this correct that somewhat? I put 1.5" wheel spacers on it, but that made little difference.

1.5" wheel spacers should have made a noticeable difference. You are now at around 4" backspacing which is wide enough for your height but if you want to go 3.75" or 3.5" you can. Just make sure there's no tire-fender laws in your state. I'm at 4.5" and stock wheels. I don't feel tippy or top heavy much at all. My suspension if new and FIRM so it makes a difference in stability.

And, last thing I swear, I have really loose steering, especially at higher speeds. I heard it called the death wobble, and that it could either possibly be my pittman arm or the castor angle.

Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you sit under the front end and check the joints for play. You'll bound to find something if you got alot of play in the steering). Check the trackbar joints too.

Any answers you could offer I would really appreciate, as Im new to the XJ world. :brickwall:

Thanks,
Will.

·
Registered
759 Posts

You said you are lifted. Do you have a transfer case drop? Your shift linkage might needed adjusted. There's a rod that connected to the shift lever (under the body on driver's side, near t-case) and it has a small bolt on it. Loosen the bolt and adjust the linkage so it shifts into 4lo properly.

Yes there are manual trannies.

1.5" wheel spacers should have made a noticeable difference. You are now at around 4" backspacing which is wide enough for your height but if you want to go 3.75" or 3.5" you can. Just make sure there's no tire-fender laws in your state. I'm at 4.5" and stock wheels. I don't feel tippy or top heavy much at all. My suspension if new and FIRM so it makes a difference in stability.

Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you sit under the front end and check the joints for play. You'll bound to find something if you got alot of play in the steering). Check the trackbar joints too.

Thanks,
Will.

You said it all LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts