Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, :hi: I was hoping someone could help me.

I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. It has 204432 miles and the engine is the 4.0 liter, 6 cylinder.

The problem I am having is this. I will be driving down the highway at say 70 MPH when all of a sudden, the engine just quits running/stalls and then the instrument panel gauges ALL drop to Zero (Tach, Speedometer, Gas, etc, etc)..

When I checked the Small 20AMP fuses in the main fuse box under the hood by the battery, I find the fuse blown, last time it happened, I replaced the fuse with a fresh one and it worked just fine for about 3 weeks until today, when it did it again.. This time, I replaced the fuse and tried to start it again, when I did the fuse popped again, so I changed it again, and again the same thing, POP and the fuse was cooked.. I finally out of total desperation took a small piece of wire and jumped the fuse connection, and when I tried to start it, the plastic started to melt on the wire (which I figured may happen) but then 2 seconds later it stopped smoking, cooled and the engine kept running all the way back home..

I do have a O2 sensor malfunction in the form of a check engine light which was checked by Auto ZOne and they said it was an O2 sensor and that it would not effect the running of the jeep, yet I am still blowing the ignition fuses..

Can someone please let me know if you have any ideas on how to repair this problem? I havent checked the actual 02 sensor or wires leading to it yet.

Any help would be GReatly Appreciated!!

Thank you,

John V

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
You need to find out what the fuse is protecting or was protecting. There could be a wire that is shorting out to the body once in a while. When you put the piece of wire in there (get that out of there you might set the whole Jeep on fire) it could have burnt enough to clear it self for now. When a fuse blows there usually is a reason and you really need to track it down. I don't think the O2 sensor is your problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well I am having a similar problem with my 97' G. C. Laredo. Driving at 65 on highway in cruise and engine quits. I pull over then restart it with no problems. The last time the Jeep engine would cut off was a faulty ignition coil. But that was a sputtering engine then it would die. This new problem is just perfect running cond. then engine just shuts off like some one cut off electricity to all the plugs instantly. There are no check engine lights or codes coming up on this since there are no sensors connected to whats ailling the faulty system. Hoping to fix this myself..... ZJ love it when it runs but lately it only runns correct 1/2 the time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Lets think about how it's fixed. you change the fuse it starts then the fuse blows again. the wire jumper worked but melted plastic. so why is that fuse pulling so much power? I agree you have to get that wire outta there(fire is only your friend when you control it)after you get to a place to diagnose the components the fuse connects. You gotta find a list of fuses and the components for the fuse box. I cant find a list in my engine compartment. its not on the lid of the box or in the owners manual. SSSHHHEEESSS. Wish it were easier. If you find the component then you can trace the wiring and check for damage, something is shorting out. Its just gonna take some good old detective work and patience.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I solved my problem. The engine was shutting off under normal operating conditions. The source was a faulty ignition coil wire connector. The stock Champion wire connector was loose so I took it apart and found corrosion and a cracked connector and missing retaining clip. Replaced connector with a new one...Price $1...running Jeep with no stalling...Priceless.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Well I am having a similar problem with my 97' G. C. Laredo. Driving at 65 on highway in cruise and engine quits. I pull over then restart it with no problems. The last time the Jeep engine would cut off was a faulty ignition coil. But that was a sputtering engine then it would die. This new problem is just perfect running cond. then engine just shuts off like some one cut off electricity to all the plugs instantly. There are no check engine lights or codes coming up on this since there are no sensors connected to whats ailling the faulty system. Hoping to fix this myself..... ZJ love it when it runs but lately it only runns correct 1/2 the time.
Replace the CPS. That definitely sounds like the issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts