Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am upgrading my 96 Cherokee SE 4.0L instrument cluster from dummy lights to gauges. I bought a used instrument cluster (with gauges) online, and now need to replace the temp and oil pressure sending units. I think I have confirmed that the coolant temp part I need is Mopar 56027012. But I have been unable to confirm the oil pressure part. It appears to be either Mopar 56026779 or 56031003. My fear is I'll order the part and end up with the same dummy light sending unit that I already have. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,536 Posts
Ralph 77 is the guy to ask on that

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
While appreciate 4.3L XJ's faith in me, however misplaced (LOL), the older parts catalogs get a little confusing.
They include YJ's and ZJ's also which does not help.
Not that being said I am coming up with the same part numbers.
Here is shot out of '94 to '96 parts catalog.
Now I like to use Napa sometimes to figure stuff out. Cause I used to work there, am familiar with their website, and they give a little more info sometimes that helps.
For the record I was not a counter guy, worked in the back, worked along side some of the best counters guys you will ever meet, and did pick up a thing or two. LOL.
On the Napa site most times you can cross part numbers.
So 56026779 leads you here:

56031003 leads you here:

And just to include it 56026719 leads you here:

So as you can see it looks like the 3rd one is for the idiot light.
Now the 1st and 2nd one are for gauges but notice how one says for US Emissions and the other one says for Canada Emissions?
Not a clue what that is all about.
Now here is what I am noticing. Look at the pictures for the 56026779. Notice how there is one terminal.

Now look at the pictures for the 56031003. Notice how there are 2 terminals.

Now we are going on the assumption that these pictures represent the actual parts.
And if I had to guess you are in the US so leaning towards you wanting the 56026779.
But thinking all you have to do is unplug yours and see how many terminals there are.
But again this is just all guess work on my part so please keep that in mind.

Oh and just to be clear.
I worked in the back like I said but did pick up a thing or two over the years.
While at my store I would have been an "eh" counter guy at a place like Advanced Auto or AutoZone I would have been a rock star.
LOL.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While appreciate 4.3L XJ's faith in me, however misplaced (LOL), the older parts catalogs get a little confusing.
They include YJ's and ZJ's also which does not help.
Not that being said I am coming up with the same part numbers.
Here is shot out of '94 to '96 parts catalog.
Now I like to use Napa sometimes to figure stuff out. Cause I used to work there, am familiar with their website, and they give a little more info sometimes that helps.
For the record I was not a counter guy, worked in the back, worked along side some of the best counters guys you will ever meet, and did pick up a thing or two. LOL.
On the Napa site most times you can cross part numbers.
So 56026779 leads you here:

56031003 leads you here:

And just to include it 56026719 leads you here:

So as you can see it looks like the 3rd one is for the idiot light.
Now the 1st and 2nd one are for gauges but notice how one says for US Emissions and the other one says for Canada Emissions?
Not a clue what that is all about.
Now here is what I am noticing. Look at the pictures for the 56026779. Notice how there is one terminal.

Now look at the pictures for the 56031003. Notice how there are 2 terminals.

Now we are going on the assumption that these pictures represent the actual parts.
And if I had to guess you are in the US so leaning towards you wanting the 56026779.
But thinking all you have to do is unplug yours and see how many terminals there are.
But again this is just all guess work on my part so please keep that in mind.

Oh and just to be clear.
I worked in the back like I said but did pick up a thing or two over the years.
While at my store I would have been an "eh" counter guy at a place like Advanced Auto or AutoZone I would have been a rock star.
LOL.
56026719 must be for the idiot light, because it resembles the one I currently have (shorter than the other two). And, as you stated, apparently 56031003 is for Canadian omissions (mine is US). So that leaves me with 56026779, which, incidentally, is what the guy at my local Napa store told me yesterday before I posted my inquiry here. So, big shout out to Napa, as apparently both current- and ex- Napa folks know their shit. My local Napa store just acquired a regular customer.

FYI, the 1 vs. 2 terminals was part of what was throwing me off. The idiot light sensor I currently have is one terminal. But the male fitting that plugs into it has holes for two terminals. So I was thinking maybe the correct part would be two terminals (i.e., second terminal for the additional info needed to make the gauge work). But apparently the second hole on the male fitting is just to accommodate the Canadian sensor.

Many thanks to 4.3L XJ and Ralph77. Y'all rule.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
56026719 must be for the idiot light, because it resembles the one I currently have (shorter than the other two). And, as you stated, apparently 56031003 is for Canadian omissions (mine is US). So that leaves me with 56026779, which, incidentally, is what the guy at my local Napa store told me yesterday before I posted my inquiry here. So, big shout out to Napa, as apparently both current- and ex- Napa folks know their shit. My local Napa store just acquired a regular customer.

FYI, the 1 vs. 2 terminals was part of what was throwing me off. The idiot light sensor I currently have is one terminal. But the male fitting that plugs into it has holes for two terminals. So I was thinking maybe the correct part would be two terminals (i.e., second terminal for the additional info needed to make the gauge work). But apparently the second hole on the male fitting is just to accommodate the Canadian sensor.

Many thanks to 4.3L XJ and Ralph77. Y'all rule.
So apparently my hope of being able to determine it by the number of terminals didn't happen.
But I am still leaning towards the US Emissions one.
Maybe the connector to it is one of those things Jeep did to make life easier.
They could make an XJ either emissions easier.
Like in my '00 that did not come with power/heated seats but the connector for it was still under my passenger seat.
As a matter of fact I added them cause it was literally plug and play.
Now here is the good thing. You are buying it locally. And buying the one that you were told you want.
At my Napa if they sold you the wrong part returning it would not even remotely be a problem.
Of course we are small independently owned Napa. Not all are. Some are corporate.
So we try harder. LOL.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I had removed my dash cover to replace my stereo once. My rig didn't have the defroster hooked up for the rear windows. When I reinstalled the dash cover over the radio ect. The wiring for the defroster wasn't dead ended very well and was shorting on the metal of the dash framing. Caused the Fuze to blow losing the functionality of the cluster as well. Don't know if that could help any? Because you have everything apart and it should be easy enough to see that kind of issue.

I hate electrical gremlins!!!! drives me crazy and don't have the patience for that!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think you are worrying so much for nothing. Does the store where you are going to order these parts have a return or replacement option? If not, then it is better not to contact such a store. Any decent store has this option. Last week I ordered smart car light strips from vont.com. As a result, I received a pink light strip, which I ordered by mistake. As a result, I just issued a return and ordered what I needed. Even though the error was mine, processing the return was not the slightest problem. So you should pay attention to that as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts