Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum. I have done some searching and found lots of great information. There is a parts yard here in Louisville KY that is having a $35 day where if you can carry it out you pay $35! I can carry some leaf springs and coils for sure. I am going to snatch some S-10 leafs for a bastard pack

Here is my question....I read on here somewhere that you can put f-150 front coils in the front and the S-10 leafs in the back and you would have a level 3"-4" lift. Is that true? Is that all I need to do? Will the F-150 coils fit right in? Also, any technical advice for putting the bastard pack together?

I am a noob to the Jeep world, but not a noob mechanic (restored many vehicles), so speak in technical terms, I will understand. Thanks for any advice!

Ray

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
The F150 coils will work, but just remember that the increased spring rate won't let the suspension flex as well as it would if you used springs with the right rating. The S10 bastard pack is a common setup.

Just remember that increasing the lift height to 3"-4" involves switching other parts as well like the rear brake line, possibly the SYE, rear driveshaft, shims, trackbar relocation, etc etc etc.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The F150 coils will work, but just remember that the increased spring rate won't let the suspension flex as well as it would if you used springs with the right rating. The S10 bastard pack is a common setup.

Just remember that increasing the lift height to 3"-4" involves switching other parts as well like the rear brake line, possibly the SYE, rear driveshaft, shims, trackbar relocation, etc etc etc.
Thanks. Are there any other coils from other pick-ups/suvs that would be better for suspension flex?

Please explain to me what the SYE and track bar are and what they do.

Is there any technical write up on how to combine the leaf springs to make the bastard pack?

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
This is a good explanation from a good thread on another forum, couldn't have done it better myself:

Balloo93 said:
SYE stands for Slip Yoke Eliminator. The Slip yoke is the yoke that slides over the output shaft of the transfer case. This is the yoke that the rear driveshaft connects to at the Transfer case. The 84-95 design uses an output housing that contains a seal at the end that holds fluid in the housing and lubes the yoke as it skids on the output shaft. This fluid is the Transfer Case fluid. The 96 and later models use a sealed housing and the yoke is lubed with grease from the factory. A small rubber boot is attached to the housing and the yoke to keep the grease from contaminants. The downside is that this setup is longer from the rear of the case to the end of the yoke.

The SYE kit replaces the stock slip yoke and housing with a sealed housing and a fixed flange or yoke. This fixed flange or yoke is what a new CV style driveshaft will bolt up to. A CV (constant Velocity) shaft uses two U joints instead of a single one and this allows for much steeper angles. These shafts also utilize a two piece design that allows for suspension travel by allowing the shaft itself to compress and extend verses the yoke sliding on the output shaft. The sealed output now also allows for the rear driveshaft to be removed from the vehicle and not allow the transfer case fluid to empty out of the transfer case (84-95 transfer cases).
The trackbar is what keeps the front axle centered under the XJ. The rear axle does not need a trackbar because the leaf springs auto matically keep the axle centered. The trackbar goes from the axle on the passenger side, to the frame rail mount on the driverside.

You're best bet for coils and springs is to see if you find a set for sale. Many people sale springs individually when they go to taller lifts, usually great deals can be had.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, thanks alot! So here is what I need to do, correct me if I am wrong.....I need to get an SYE, longer brake lines, make a bastard pack for the rear, and find some used coils.

Is this all I need to do in order to lift my jeep? (other than bigger tires)

I was looking at the leafs last night, they are completely flat, is that right?

·
Premium Member
9,133 Posts
Flat is common with the weight of the vehicle

·
Registered
70 Posts
Okay, thanks alot! So here is what I need to do, correct me if I am wrong.....I need to get an SYE, longer brake lines, make a bastard pack for the rear, and find some used coils.

depending on how hard/wild you ride you might want to get some beefier uppers and lowers for the front. not so much the uppers, the the lowers for sure...

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts

You'll need a new driveshaft if you go with a SYE - an XJ front driveshaft will work just fine. Depending on what SYE you go with, you may need a Spicer flange to make it work with the driveshaft. You'll also need longer shocks to make up for the lift height otherwise you'll be overextending and bottoming out your shocks.

depending on how hard/wild you ride you might want to get some beefier uppers and lowers for the front. not so much the uppers, the the lowers for sure...
Great advice. You can also get some flat stock and box in the LCA's. Worked great for me for a while. I also recommend boxing in the LCA mounts, and reinforcing the passengerside UCA mount.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the advice. I think since my stock Cherokee is going to be a daily driver (it is getting 22mpg) I will be not changing alot. I will save and just get a real nice RE kit or something that has all the goods in it to do it right. I just got a $1000 bonus, so after uncle sam gets his piece I might just buy a reall nice kit. Thanks for all the help men!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts