Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a 99 Cherokee Sport 4x4. Had a '97 before it was totalled last month. :(

The Jeep I'm looking at is very clean, but has a cold start problem. It's starts fine at first, but will immediately stall if you don't keep giving it gas. If you let it stall, it cranks a bit before starting again. It needs gas for 30-60 seconds before it will idle on its own.

I've done some quick checking and have come across suggestions like looking at the IAC and TPS, but not sure if those address my exact problem.

I'm looking for any other ideas, and maybe someone to tell me I shouldn't buy it. ;)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
How much are they asking for it and is it throwing any codes? Could be TPS

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Asking $4k with 146k miles. I haven't gotten it to my Jeep mechanic yet, 'cause I wanted to get some ideas before I took it in. How much are we talking about for something like a TPS?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
A TPS for my 97 runs 47.99 at autozone. To me seems a little high, if it's private party they probably won't fix it, but if it's a dealer have them get it fixed and make a offer. I gave 2500.00 complete tax, title, plates for a 96 about a year ago. A little high but had a nice body

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. It's in very nice condition (better than the others I have looked at over the past month) and he's asking ~ $1000 more than KBB private party, whereas everyone else in Austin area is asking $500-1500 over KBB. Must depend on the part of the country. Was thinking about offering $3600 and fixing it myself, but first wanted to get an idea of what I was getting into. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Good luck with it and remember we all love pics here at ct.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just setting up my profile. One pic so far. Many more to come after I get my new ride!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts