Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1999 XJ Cherokee

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  save the polar bears 
#1 ·
Hello. I've searched online and am unable to find a solution for my problem,
my shifter lights aren't on, i changed the bulbs and even checked voltage and im getting nothing, checked every single fuse by the door and they are all good
any help would be much appreciated

#3 ·
yeah the only thing that doesn’t work sometimes is the dash RPM and speedometer it just goes to 0 unless I smack it and it works again lol or a speed bump. Something worth mentioning is when I bought the vehicle it came with after market radio and headlights. When I put the headlights on you can no longer see how many miles you have. No idea why

#4 ·
The lights are controlled through the head light switch. With aftermarket headlights and radio, the previous owner may have butchered some dash wiring. The radio ties into dash light wiring for illumination. He may have cut the wire that feeds the shifter to light the radio. I would start there.

#5 ·
I agree. There has been some Mickey Mouse wiring there. You will have to take your dash apart and find the wire that was cut

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.