Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i lifted it 2.5-almost 3" in the front and 2.5 in the back.i don't know if i had this issue before the lift or not. i just replaced my drivers side axle uj it was bad. but i have exactly the same noise in 4wd now. at first i figured it had to be the other one but i checked it and it doesn't wiggle much.it does wiggle but i cant see it making all that cv axle noise sound. so i check the drive line to the front it seemed pretty solid.anyone have this problem?the noise isnt constant really its mostly at low speeds and when slowing down. if i speed up it goes away basically. help help:confused:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes only in 4wd! so im pretty sure its from the transfercase on up where the problem is. im not getting a vibaration as most people describe when they need to drop the tc. so i think it could be tha6t cv axle looking thing i think u guys call a slip yoke? its on the front drive shaft, if not that maybe the uj on the diff side or loose bolts going to the diff. my mustang has alot of torque and the drive lines bolt get loose now and then and it sorta sounds like a cv too

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anyone have any ideas? i have to tackle this problem in a hour or so. i gotta get this thing fixed

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
I'm not sure if I really follow exactly what's going on.

From the sounds of it, you may want to also change your pass-side u-joint. A little bit of play will sound worse during movement and under load then when the vehicle is not in motion. Also, with increased speed comes increased sound from the tires, wind noise, engine, etc., so you may think that the noise you hear fades with speed, but it's possible that it may just be masked.

Have you checked the u-joints on the driveshafts? Have you greased your front driveshaft lately?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure if I really follow exactly what's going on.

From the sounds of it, you may want to also change your pass-side u-joint. A little bit of play will sound worse during movement and under load then when the vehicle is not in motion. Also, with increased speed comes increased sound from the tires, wind noise, engine, etc., so you may think that the noise you hear fades with speed, but it's possible that it may just be masked.

Have you checked the u-joints on the driveshafts? Have you greased your front driveshaft lately?
the 4x4 shop i got my lift from thinks its my drive shaft in the front.
where do you grease it?and would it really make the noise go away at this point?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what i was trying to say is i have a cv axle click sound coming from the front. i didnt notice it till after i did my 2.5 lift. it only does it in 4wd at a low speed.
i found a bad drive wheel uj thinking it was the prob i replaced it only to still have the same noise.
i confirmed i have the 207 transfercase so i can remove the front drive shaft and drive it and see if the noise goes away.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well greasing it will help. There is a zirk fitting near the pinion of the Dana 30 on what will look like a sleeve. That is what you want to grease.
dumb question but whats the pinion? i thought it was part of the angle of a u joint? the uj has no zerk or is it zert i thought? i didnt see a sleeve that i noticed when i was looking to see if it was a greasable uj

1 - 9 of 9 Posts