Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have my stock dana 30 hp...which,.has a mess up lca...

and i have sitting in my garage a dana 30 hp with 488s...and teraflex hi steer...but.the guy that had it before welded some kind of brakcets for the sway bars and the track bar...which...look like crap..and wont even work for my sway bars or track bar....

so ..should i..?...

get hd lca weld them on my stock axle...put the teraflex hi steer and 4.88s..in this axle as well....

or...leave everything on the axle with the weird brackets....cut all the weird brackets...buy the hd lca and uca weld them on it..and the sway bar links...and call it the day?...

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
I would make the axle with the hi-steer work, and keep the one with the broken LCA bracket as a spare. Like Kyle said, the brackets had to be placed in new positions for the hi-steer to work on the previous rig, so you can't remove them and expect that axle to work.

If you don't know how to setup gears yourself, then this is just another reason to swap the entire hi-steer axle into your rig.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Can you run different gear ratios in the front and rear diff as long as you keep it in 2wd?

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Can you run different gear ratios in the front and rear diff as long as you keep it in 2wd?
Yes, I would pull the front shaft just in case you forget you are running two different ratios and pull the 4wd lever.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok to make it more clear...

the dana 30 with 4.88s...has a bunch of brackets that look like crap and...that they just wont work with my track bar...

yes the idea is to get raise my track bar! and no im not welding the lca im welding the hd brackets for the lca

the rear has 3.55s..but im swaping a dana 44 of an xj with 4.88s i got..im just waiting the guy to give it to me...

so it will be 4.88s all around...

·
Registered
444 Posts
sounds like your on the right path.. i'd use the 30 that already has the 4.88s in it.. that way you dont have to try and RE set up an already worn in ring and pinion..

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok then..i have to start cutting this axle and ordering brackets

1 - 13 of 13 Posts