Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2000 Cherokee Sport 4.0L with 72k miles.

Recently I've had trouble with my Cherokee randomly stalling during driving. The car runs fine most of the time, but randomly the car will buck violently - but keep running - or just flat out stall and die. It hasn't thrown a Check Engine light yet, so I have no codes to look to for a diagnosis.

My local mechanic took a look at it, and can't seem to find any problem. We thought it might be fuel related, but the pump and pressure in the system seem to be fine.

Now I am leaning toward an issue issue with the plugs/wires. I'm thinking there might be a problem there, since the car tends to behave like it has trouble getting spark and keeping the engine moving.

Has anyone on the forum experienced an issue like this before?

I'd welcome any thoughts/ideas any of you might have.

Thanks!

John

·
Registered
726 Posts
I would check you plugs and wires like you said.

Does it do it while you are driving regularly down the highway, or just during acceleration? I had a similar problem, but it would run fine down the road, however it would act up during acceleration and from a stopped position.

In my case i replaced the crank position sensor and the fuse for my o2 sensors and it runs fine now. I replaced them at the same time, so im not sure if both was bad or not. (The fuse was obviously bad)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as the frequency of the problem goes - I've noticed that I most often experience the bucking/stalling when under acceleration or when we are at a complete stop.

The other night we were sitting idle at a red light and the car just stalled. I cranked on it for a few seconds a few times over about 5 minutes and it eventually fired back up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to know Deep Water.

Sounds easy enough.

Can I pick one of these up at Advanced Auto or Auto Zone?

Also, should I do this with the battery disconnected so that after the sensor is replaced I trigger an ECU reset?

Thanks

·
Registered
726 Posts
I did reset my computer after i replaced the sensor and the fuse. Im pretty sure i orderd mine off of ebay, but you might be able to pick it up at autozone or someplace like it.

I think it is wierd that it hasent thrown a check engine light.

I would still check plugs and wires before replacing the CPS, but it sounds like the CPS to me.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
OBDII can be a bit odd about the way it throws codes. I do agree that it can throw a code but sometimes it will throw a soft code and not trip the lite. If you have a scan tool check for pending codes.

I had one drive me mad one time telling me it was everything but the crank sensor. So yes it can be tricky.

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Good to know Deep Water.

Sounds easy enough.

Can I pick one of these up at Advanced Auto or Auto Zone?

Also, should I do this with the battery disconnected so that after the sensor is replaced I trigger an ECU reset?

Thanks
These are available from your local parts houses and fortunately the price will not drive you to the poor house. See if they can scan your car to.....just don't start throwing a ton of parts at it if you don't need to.

OOPS.....I mean Cherokee.

AC Delco part #213-2039
Standard ignition #PC308
Wells #5S1806

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would check you plugs and wires like you said.

Does it do it while you are driving regularly down the highway, or just during acceleration? I had a similar problem, but it would run fine down the road, however it would act up during acceleration and from a stopped position.

In my case i replaced the crank position sensor and the fuse for my o2 sensors and it runs fine now. I replaced them at the same time, so im not sure if both was bad or not. (The fuse was obviously bad)
Hello, I was glad to see this post! I'm a 67 yr old widow and if you can believe it have started fixing my jeep when possible😳! Nothing major of course - sensors and hoses and found a leak I took care of. Was running fine - then just died while driving. After few minutes it started back up I drove 3 mi died again in 10 min started back up made it 4 mi home. Waited few days had not tried driving it. I notice a leak started on passenger side located probably just below back floor board area! About the size of a salad plate. I tried starting it but it wouldn't kick over. Would greatly appreciate any ideas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts