Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new here.

I have a 2000 Cherokee with a rebuilt engine from a 1998 I had, that was wrecked. It needs a new alternator now. I see that they are different from 98 to 99-2001.

Can anyone advise me, of what I should purchase for this.

Thank you Kindly.
GHM

·
Super Moderator
10,301 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. Did you use the wiring harness from your 2000 or did you use the one from the 98 engine? I believe the plugs on the alternator will be different.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there Gluckmysock. Thank you for the welcome. It was done at a shop. A couple years ago. I have no idea what they did.

GHM

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello and welcome to the forum. Did you use the wiring harness from your 2000 or did you use the one from the 98 engine? I believe the plugs on the alternator will be different.
All I know is they changed the spark plug unit/ If I have it right. The 1998 engine I had rebuilt and put into my 2000, I think had a distributor cap? They added the long black unit that I believe replaced. that, from my 2000 engine. The engine runs like a dream, but I need a new alternator. And am not sure which one to buy.

I really appreciate you time, and knowledge.

·
Super Moderator
10,301 Posts
No Problem! That's why we are here.

The plugs went from a distributor cap with wires to each plug (1998) to a "Coil on plug" (2000) configuration. This design only uses 3 coils. It's referred to as "Lost Spark Ignition". since 2 plugs share a coil, and the ECM (Engine control module) fires 1 coil but it sparks 2 plugs at the same time. Since the second plug is not in "firing position" the spark is wasted or lost. Sorry, got a little technical. The distributor cap was replaced with a cam sensor which the ECM just uses for fuel timing. These changes had to be made to make that model year engine work in your Jeep.

All that being said, I'm gonna say the alternator should be for your year, 2000, since they only used the block and replaced all your parts.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Yes you'll probably want an alternator from the year of your jeep, not of the motor. The connections at the alternator are indeed different between 98 and 99+. I wasn't aware of that and before i picked up a used 98 alternator to put into my 99 and then later realized i couldnt use it! oops

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes you'll probably want an alternator from the year of your jeep, not of the motor. The connections at the alternator are indeed different between 98 and 99+. I wasn't aware of that and before i picked up a used 98 alternator to put into my 99 and then later realized i couldnt use it! oops
That makes sense. Thank you so Kindly. I appreciate your help.
🙂

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No Problem! That's why we are here.

The plugs went from a distributor cap with wires to each plug (1998) to a "Coil on plug" (2000) configuration. This design only uses 3 coils. It's referred to as "Lost Spark Ignition". since 2 plugs share a coil, and the ECM (Engine control module) fires 1 coil but it sparks 2 plugs at the same time. Since the second plug is not in "firing position" the spark is wasted or lost. Sorry, got a little technical. The distributor cap was replaced with a cam sensor which the ECM just uses for fuel timing. These changes had to be made to make that model year engine work in your Jeep.

All that being said, I'm gonna say the alternator should be for your year, 2000, since they only used the block and replaced all your parts.
Thank you very much!!!!

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
Not to be the rain cloud here, but I think we are really just guessing until we see a pic of the backside of the alternator that is in the jeep right now. You can swap in the other style of plug easy, allowing the other style alternator to be used. I agree it would make the most sense for it to be the one that came factory in the 2000, but I've seen shops do weirder things.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Not to be the rain cloud here, but I think we are really just guessing until we see a pic of the backside of the alternator that is in the jeep right now. You can swap in the other style of plug easy, allowing the other style alternator to be used. I agree it would make the most sense for it to be the one that came factory in the 2000, but I've seen shops do weirder things.
If they did and did it properly it might be a good thing. I believe that for a '98 XJ that a 136 amp alternator is an option.
But you need to see behind the alternator to determine what might have been done.
Chances are they took the easiest route. Swapped out what they needed to in the lower end. I wonder what they did about the head.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts