Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE A 2000 JEEP CHEROKEE GRAND LARADO...I AM LOOKING FOR A REPLACEMENT REAREND..IT IS A TWO WHEEL DRIVE 4.0 6CY.AUTOMATIC TRANS.WHAT GEAR RATIO IS IN THIS MODEL? WHAT YEARS WILL INTERCHANGE WITH MY JEEP? CAN I PUT A4WHEEL DRIVE REAREND IN MY JEEP IF THE GEAR RATIO IS THE SAME? DOES THE REAR END NEED TO HAVE THE SAME TYPE OF BRAKE SYSTEM AS MINE? CAN I REPLACE THE ENTIRE DRIVE TRAIN TRANSMISSION REAR END BRAKE SYSTEM AND ALL IN MY TWO WHEEL DRIVE WITH A 4WHEEL DRIVE DRIVE TRAIN IF IT WILL MATCH UP TI MY MOTOR?
SAME T

·
Premium Member
9,668 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Any XJ rear end will do, but you should stick with the 97 and up Chrysler 8.25 like you have. It has a 3.54 ratio. And yes, you can change over to 4WD, but it is good to have a donor rig. All the stuff will bolt in

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANKS FOR THE HELP..I AM GOING TO BUY THE. DONOR RIG NOW THAT I KNOW THAT I CAN INTERCHANGE PARTS. ILL KEEP POSTING QUESTIONS AND ASKING FOR ADVICE..I WILL BE DOING A LOT THE WORK MYSELF..I DONT LIKE NOT KNOWING WHO IS WORKING ON MY JEEP AND NOT KNOW WHAT KIND OF WORK THEY ARE DOING ..SO THANK YOU AGAIN

·
Premium Member
9,668 Posts
Whoops, my bad. I didn't see the Grand when I read it for some reason. We usually refer to your rig as a Grand Cherokee, not the other way around. Anyway, you can use either the Dana 35 rear axle which you now have, or upgrade to the Dana 44A which came in the V8 models. Axle ratio is 3.73

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK SO I CAN BUY THE 2K GRAND CHEROKEE LARADO THAT HAS A GOOD 4. 6CY.MOTOR ITS4X4 MINE IS A TWO WHEEL DRIVE.THE GRAND CHEROKEE LARADO HAS A BAD TRANSMISSION MINE HAS A BAD DIFFERENTIAL THE ONE IM GOING TO BUY IS 4X4 CAN I INTERCHANGE THE DIFFERENTIAL WITH MINE IT BEING A 4X4 AND MINE BEING A TWO WHEEL DRIVE.WITHOUT CHANGING MY BRAKES AND STUFF OR DO I HAVE TO CHANGE THE WHOLE REAREND?i

·
Premium Member
9,668 Posts
The rear ends interchange. Dude, punctuation please. If you are thinking of making it a 4wd, you will need a good trans that is a 4wd trans. It needs to be able to bolt a transfer case to the tail housing

Reactions: XJSuperman

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Just make sure your donor rig is a 99-04 Grand Cherokee. The axles are considerably wider than the Cherokee

1 - 7 of 7 Posts