Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always have a hard time unplugging those electrical plugs. to be more specific the one on the head, that plugs to injectors.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Well you do have to slide the red tab on each one up.
And being 20 year old brittle plastic and all there is a chance they will snap.
Not to worry.
My experience is that you get a tight fit and they will stay without the locking tab.
I sometimes assume stuff like that is a factory/manufacturing thing.
So things won't separate when the car is going down the line.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Ralph77 for your reply, do you know how to disconnect the fuel line on the front of the engine.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
First you will need to remove the black "safety" clamp. Just pry it off. What the top arrow is pointing at.

Next you will remove the silver part of the fuel line. What the bottom arrow is pointing at.

You will need something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-37000-Conditioning-Fuel-Disconnect/dp/B0002SRCK6

Thinking one like that will give you the size you need.
Check this out.

Not a Jeep but the same. Start watching at about 1:30

Also there is a shrader valve with a cap on it. Just like a tire valve that you can release the pressure in the fuel line. You can't see it in the picture so I did not mark it.
Do this first. Just for the hell of it take the gas cap off too.

Sorry was hoping the picture would be bigger.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ralph, it Jim could you please inform on the back of the fule. the only quick disconnect I tried 1/2" it would go on, then I tried 5/8", I been putting a bevel on it, but on luck so far. is there another tool on have line release, thanks

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Ralph, it Jim could you please inform on the back of the fule. the only quick disconnect I tried 1/2" it would go on, then I tried 5/8", I been putting a bevel on it, but on luck so far. is there another tool on have line release, thanks
Not really sure what you are saying.
Pretty sure it is the 5/16" one.
Also sometimes crud likes to build up in there.
So you might want to clean it out too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ralph, I couldn't get the 1/2" on, my set doesn't include 5/16" release tool, where do I acquire a 9/16"

Thanks, Ralph my set doesn't include 5/16", I couldn't get a1/2" release tool on. Gear wrench doesn't make it either. Where may I acquire a 5/16" release tool? And thanks for your great input, it very much inspiring and very appreciated.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ralph I thanks for all your help, but I have one request, to remove the in & out headers, how do you see the bolts and or nuts that hold them. I removed the abs pump and thinking about removing the steering shaft. Do you have a better procedure? please. This web site is great to help me, Thanks a lot Jim

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Ralph I thanks for all your help, but I have one request, to remove the in & out headers, how do you see the bolts and or nuts that hold them. I removed the abs pump and thinking about removing the steering shaft. Do you have a better procedure? please. This web site is great to help me, Thanks a lot Jim
I don't understand your question.
In and out headers?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Yes, there no order I can't see or feel the bolts or nuts. as I stated I removed the abs pump & bracket, maybe the steering column being removed also, If you don't have a better procedure.

·
Super Moderator
10,434 Posts
Pretty sure the intake and exhaust manifold share the same bolts. they kind come off together.

Gotta reach under the intake to find the bolts. Here is a video:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Yes, there no order I can't see or feel the bolts or nuts. as I stated I removed the abs pump & bracket, maybe the steering column being removed also, If you don't have a better procedure.

Some of the manifold bolts can be tricky to access. I did mine pretty easily, but all other parts that could have been in the way were already removed - steering pump and gear box, and all front suspension and axle. And it was still tricky.
One tip for the rear lower bolts is to use a socket extension through the holes in the wheel well, with wobble sockets.
When installing, make sure everything is seated completely, and tighten all bolts in proper sequence to proper torque spec.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pretty sure the intake and exhaust manifold share the same bolts. they kind come off together.

Gotta reach under the intake to find the bolts. Here is a video:

https://youtu.be/tow2JQhvYak
I tried with a straight extension and couldn't get on the bolts the intake is lower than the bolts, if exhaust comes of first I'll use a wrench, it too tight to get in there now. it fuel injection also

1 - 20 of 21 Posts