Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I’m new to the forum. Got this Jeep a few months ago. Several things I want to go through here. I put a new head on recently. It ran great for a while. Then it started to die once it warmed up to 195. And cranks and cranks without starting. It will start once it cools. Here is what I’ve noticed so far. I have an evap line that goes from the passenger side firewall that goes to somewhere to the rear of the Jeep I assume. I’ve replaced the crank sensor several times. Put a new cam sensor on. Throttle position sensor. New spark plugs. When it does run after sitting all night it runs great but 15-20 minutes later it shakes bad and the dies. Any idea what you think it might be. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Well part of that kinda sounds like what I was experiencing with my '00.
You can read about my experience here:

Thing is when she reached operating temperature and stall in the beginning would start right back up.
And you say you replaced the CPS so....
I guess my first question is did you use a Mopar CPS or an aftermarket one.
Cause the bad out of the box aftermarket CPS problem has been beat to death all over the internet.

·
Super Moderator
10,415 Posts
I would fix/replace the evap line. Inspect all your vacuum lines repair/replace as needed. You may also have heat soak issues with the fuel rail.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Welcome to the forum. First of all, any check engine lights involved with this? I suspect though that your engine is dyeing because the fuel air ratio is wrong. I suspect your O2 sensors are worn out and when it goes to closed loop in the ECM that the fuel/air ratio changes and goes too lean.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has thrown the evap leak code and cam sensor code. But not every time. It’s a strange deal really lol it throw the evap leak now. Again not every time. It just starts up when I’ve let it sit over night then gets to 195 and runs for s bit and stops. Won’t start again for about 24 hrs sometimes longer. I have put aftermarket sensors on everything though. I just went the cheap way to see if I could figure out some issues I had before. Should I start over with mopar sensors and go from there?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would fix/replace the evap line. Inspect all your vacuum lines repair/replace as needed. You may also have heat soak issues with the fuel rail.

Welcome to the forum.
Would I lose pressure at the rail if that was the case? It holds pressure pretty well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just went out to start it and it started up ran rough for a minute and died. That the first time it has ran rough after start up. Threw a cmp code this time. P1391. It ran smooth every other time I started it but this time. I did put a cmp sensor on it that was aftermarket as well.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
So you get a cam position sensor code sometimes. Do you have an ohm meter?

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
You can ohm them by sticking a pun in the backof the plug. You should fluctuate between 0 and 5V It happens rapidly, so you will have to slow it down to get any real values unless you have a fancy meter

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can ohm them by sticking a pun in the backof the plug. You should fluctuate between 0 and 5V It happens rapidly, so you will have to slow it down to get any real values unless you have a fancy meter
I’m looking to buy oem sensors for it. Where do you guys recommend buying them? Or a good site online? Don’t want to spend too much since I’m not sure my problem is exactly what I think it may be.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
You have to poke around. Some Mopar sensors are sold by RockAuto. Pricing is pretty good. Make sure you use their 5% off promo code.
I bought a TPS from them.
I bought a Mopar Crankshaft Positioning Sensor pretty reasonable off Amazon.
When dealing with Amazon just read the reviews to make sure it is a real Mopar one.
Plenty of online Mopar Part Retailers. But remember that most charge shipping.
If you have a Jeep Dealership near you check with them. Just don't automatically assume they are going to rape you on the price.
They might but...
Also remember that with them if they can get the part most times it is only a day out if not in stock.
And most times probably won't charge for shipping. So you have to take that into account.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts