Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Cherokee Classic, Red, 4.0 inline 6
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2000 XJ I have both the stock fog lights that are mounted low below the bumper and I have a set up KC after market fog lights mounted on to the brush guard. The passenger side stock bumper light works, but the driver side does not. I am assuming this just needs a new bulb.

The KC lights quit working a couple of months ago. The switch for these lights is mounted at the bottom of the dash just above the gas pedal (it came this way when I bought it).I bought an after market panel for the dash so I can mount it in the same spot at the power outlet, cig lighter, rear defog, stock fog lights, and rear wiper. For a while, the KC switch still had power at the indicator light but now it does not. I am not an electrical wiring wiz, any ideas on what needs to be done to fix the fog lights?

I am assuming that I should check the relays and the fuse. I have attached the diagrams, so are the relays and fuses that are marked for the stock fog lights in the bumper? Or, is this for the after market KC lights?

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
If you have an owners manual in the glove box, it has all the labeled diagrams in it for you. Check your fuses first, but you never know who wires in those aftermarket lights, so you need to check all that wiring. Make sure connections are intact and wires aren't being pulled out of connectors. If they used the KC lights harness, it has proper fuses in it, so you need to check that as well (my fuses were inline and near the battery). My KC lights were very high maintenance and I was always opening up and cleaning the lights and connections. I have never used my factory fogs (lights were gone when I bought it but wiring is still there). For the factory fogs, check that bulb, and connections there as well. Those sit low and get covered in road grime.

Member @Ralph77 here is the guru of factory XJ options, including foglights. Hopefully he pops up, otherwise you can message him.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have an owners manual in the glove box, it has all the labeled diagrams in it for you. Check your fuses first, but you never know who wires in those aftermarket lights, so you need to check all that wiring. Make sure connections are intact and wires aren't being pulled out of connectors. If they used the KC lights harness, it has proper fuses in it, so you need to check that as well (my fuses were inline and near the battery). My KC lights were very high maintenance and I was always opening up and cleaning the lights and connections. I have never used my factory fogs (lights were gone when I bought it but wiring is still there). For the factory fogs, check that bulb, and connections there as well. Those sit low and get covered in road grime.

Member @Ralph77 here is the guru of factory XJ options, including foglights. Hopefully he pops up, otherwise you can message him.
Thanks, I doubt it is a wiring issue since both sets of fog lights did work at one time. I suppose a short could exist in the wires. But, with my limited electrical knowledge a fuse or relay seems more likely, just trying make sure id the correct ones.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Appreciate the compliment but I think guru is stretching it a bit. LOL.

So thinking the one factory fog is just shot but you need to check the fuses like XJSuperman said.
Thinking with the KC's betting it is a fuse issue.
Somewhere in the harness for those lights I betting there is at least one if not two inline fuses.

But if I am reading this correctly sounds like you bought a bezel that will hold more switches.
Does it use factory switches?
Cause if it were me I would wire up the KC's with a factory switch
As a matter of fact I plan on doing that with these.
See the first shot.
Extra factory switches will go in this.
See the second shot.

So I could hazard a decent guess on how the KC's are wired but....
I put factory fog lights in my '00 that did not come with them.
Utilized a factory switch and used aftermarket factory looking fogs.
But they are wired more like your KC's probably are.

So maybe some of this will help.
I could have sworn I posted my little writeup for doing it on this forum but for
the life of me can't find it.
So.......

As I said I am guessing your KC's are wired similar to what I did in the write up.
If you were to score an factory fog switch and pigtail to use with the KC's you could use some of that.
But I would have to have a better idea how they are wired to advise you.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,886 Posts
Yes, if they are aftermarket, who knows how they are wired. Many people don't put a relay in and end up burning out switches

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate the compliment but I think guru is stretching it a bit. LOL.

So thinking the one factory fog is just shot but you need to check the fuses like XJSuperman said.
Thinking with the KC's betting it is a fuse issue.
Somewhere in the harness for those lights I betting there is at least one if not two inline fuses.

But if I am reading this correctly sounds like you bought a bezel that will hold more switches.
Does it use factory switches?
Cause if it were me I would wire up the KC's with a factory switch
As a matter of fact I plan on doing that with these.
See the first shot.
Extra factory switches will go in this.
See the second shot.

So I could hazard a decent guess on how the KC's are wired but....
I put factory fog lights in my '00 that did not come with them.
Utilized a factory switch and used aftermarket factory looking fogs.
But they are wired more like your KC's probably are.

So maybe some of this will help.
I could have sworn I posted my little writeup for doing it on this forum but for
the life of me can't find it.
So.......

As I said I am guessing your KC's are wired similar to what I did in the write up.
If you were to score an factory fog switch and pigtail to use with the KC's you could use some of that.
But I would have to have a better idea how they are wired to advise you.
I haven't read the wiring write up yet, but my KC light configuration is similar to your picture. I also purchased a 4 switch bezel similar to what you have pictured as well. Good to know about the inline fuses on those lights. I am going to order a different switch for those. @4.3L XJ mentioned the switches will burn out if a relay was not installed. I am hoping the KC lights are that simple. I think I will need a different switch anyway to fit the bezel. I do not think the KC light will fit. It would be great if it was that simple.

I checked my fuses in the passenger side interior fuse box as well as the PC in the engine for the stock fog lights. Those were all in good shape. I did realize Friday night that the Passenger side stock light went out some time since I last looked at it a couple of weeks ago. Since those fuses are good, hopefully I all need for those stock lights is new bulbs.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
If I had to guess the switch for the KC lights probably has 3 wires.
One for the 12 volt runs source for the switch itself.
One for ground.
The third going to the relay that I bet you have in the harness that the switch will trigger when you turn it on.
Now there is an explanation in the write up of what each of the 4 wires is for in the factory pigtail.
You will just have to swap them over.
The last is the orange wire. That is for the illumination of the symbol on a factory switch when the headlights are on.
For that you will just splice into the orange wire that is coming out of the the factory fog light connector.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I had to guess the switch for the KC lights probably has 3 wires.
One for the 12 volt runs source for the switch itself.
One for ground.
The third going to the relay that I bet you have in the harness that the switch will trigger when you turn it on.
Now there is an explanation in the write up of what each of the 4 wires is for in the factory pigtail.
You will just have to swap them over.
The last is the orange wire. That is for the illumination of the symbol on a factory switch when the headlights are on.
For that you will just splice into the orange wire that is coming out of the the factory fog light connector.
There are three wires on KC switch. I am going to start by replacing it and go from there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it turned out the power supply wire attaching the battery had broken its connector. An easy fix, so now the KC Fog lights work. I was wanting convert the three wire KC set up to wiring that would plug into a stock fog light switch on the dash. The customer service rep I spoked with at Quadratec says that not such adapter exists. Anyone know of one or a way to rig one? The switch with the KC lights is too small to fit the hole in the dash. I really don't like having it mounted to the bottom of the dash above the gas pedal. I am bumping it off every time I get in.

·
Premium Member
9,886 Posts
Your stock switch is probably not heavy enough for the KCs. But not to worry, that is what relays are for. Use the switched to hot wire to the lights to run a relay that draws power directly from the battery or other buss source. It will work like stock fog lights

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your stock switch is probably not heavy enough for the KCs. But not to worry, that is what relays are for. Use the switched to hot wire to the lights to run a relay that draws power directly from the battery or other buss source. It will work like stock fog lights
There is already a relay in the wiring between the wiring and the KC Switch. So as long as the wires match, do I need to order another relay? I just found this on ebay and ordered it. As long as I connect the wires correctly with the three from the KC wiring this should work I would think.

Fits Jeep XJ Cherokee 1997 1998 1999 2000 Rocker Switch Kit Lighting Switch | eBay

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
Ralph already supplied you with the info and a link to a writeup telling you exactly how to wire the KC lights to the factory switch. You will not need another relay, just follow the writeup.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That part I ordered in the link from ebay worked perfectly. I didn't have to follow the wiring process as the plug that came with it was already built to adapt directly to the three wire set up of the KC lights. All I had to do was splice the wires together correctly. I think it is worth passing on to anyone in else who may be in a similar situation. Now, I just have to find time to figure out if it is bulbs or relays on the stock lights in the bumper.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts