Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I've researched extensively all the auto to manual swap threads but I believe I have a unique issue for putting a manual trans into a 2001 Cherokee. I believe I can fool the PCM into thinking the TC is still there by installing a relay but my understanding is the 2001 AW4 uses input and output speed sensors to check that the TC is locked up. I'd expect an error code if the computer doesn't get a signal from the speed sensors.
What if I ground out both speed sensors? Would that keep an error code from popping up? Any other suggestions?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,069 Posts
I wouldn't ground it out. Shorts from the sensor input could probably damage the ECM. What about all the other stuff it monitors? You would have to fake solenoids etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The transmission connector has ports for "input speed sensor signal" and "input speed sensor ground' and the same ports for the output speed sensor. I was thinking that somehow there may be a way to connect the ports and fool the PCM.
If I connect the signal port to the ground port, that should send full voltage back to the computer. I'm just wondering if that is too much voltage and the computer may think something is wrong.

·
Premium Member
9,069 Posts
Even if it works, it will give you a code because it is not a pulse

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn. Ok, well that saved me a lot of grief then. Thanks. I think a better route is sending off to get my PCM reprogrammed for a manual transmission. Hopefully I can use the same wiring harness with a couple of mods to wire in the reverse lights and NSS.

·
Premium Member
9,069 Posts
That should work or just get the standard tranny PCM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts