Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this page, I found a 2001 Cherokee XJ 4wd to buy, but I need help before I make my decision. Should I be concern with the rust? I am attaching pictures, thanks in advance.
XJ (1).jpg
XJ (1).jpg
XJ (13).jpg
XJ (1).jpg
XJ (13).jpg
XJ (15).jpg
XJ (1).jpg
XJ (13).jpg
XJ (15).jpg
XJ (19).jpg
XJ (1).jpg
XJ (13).jpg
XJ (15).jpg
XJ (19).jpg
XJ (33).jpg
XJ (1).jpg
XJ (13).jpg
XJ (15).jpg
XJ (19).jpg
XJ (33).jpg

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
You should always be concerned about rust. Rust never sleeps. Rust is always working away at making rigs disappear. Rust will cut you, fight you, lock up fasteners and joints. Rust will separate panels and spot welds. Rust is inevitable. Rust waits for no man.

That xj looks really clean, except for the surface rust on everything in your pics. What does the bottom side of the unibody rails show? There are a couple spots that usually get soft first. How about floorpans?

Where are you located? That could be the difference in me buying stock in FluidFilm or me letting the surface rust go for a few years on that one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should always be concerned about rust. Rust never sleeps. Rust is always working away at making rigs disappear. Rust will cut you, fight you, lock up fasteners and joints. Rust will separate panels and spot welds. Rust is inevitable. Rust waits for no man.

That xj looks really clean, except for the surface rust on everything in your pics. What does the bottom side of the unibody rails show? There are a couple spots that usually get soft first. How about floorpans?

Where are you located? That could be the difference in me buying stock in FluidFilm or me letting the surface rust go for a few years on that one.
I am located in Southern California, thanks for the input I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Yeah, in SoCal I wouldn't be that worried about whats there, so long as you don't find any real rust like we have in the midwest.

It looks like it already fully outfitted. Plenty of goodies on there already.

·
Premium Member
10,023 Posts
CA rust is almost never a big problem. Looks good to me.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Looks good to me too. You ain't in the rust belt like some of us . I'd say pull that trigger and enjoy.

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
Unless the asking price is God awful, I didn't really see anything that looked like rust. considering rust has eaten away half of mine. Go for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts