Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I have a 2001 Jeep 2.5l TD 60th anniversary edition.

What's Happened:
  • Ran out of diesel
  • Left for a while
  • Flat battery, repeated attempts to jump start etc
  • Several different mechanics over 3 years tried and gave up
  • Diesel Fuel filter and housing / primer (In the engine bay on right with the plunger on top)
  • Refurbished the Mechanical High Pressure Fuel Pump (Timing was done when re installed)
  • Injectors have been bled however I am not sure how long ago this was
  • The mechanic shop gave up on it and its sat for best part of a year
I have been tasked with fixing it as it means a lot to the family. Unfortunately, I don't have diesel experience only petrol so please be kind aha.

Where we are at now:
  • Crank No Start condition
  • "No Bus message"
  • No gauges operating properly (battery voltage gage, Fuel level etc)
  • No coms from the PCM when using a Maxidas tablet loaned to me by a mechanic
  • No results from injector test light
  • 12v to the PCM appears good
  • PCM was sent to Flagship One in the USA for a repair as I concluded it was this. They tested the PCM and said it passed and that there was no faults with it. Which is not the result I was expecting...
Tests I did before sending the PCM off for testing:
  • I removed the CPS Sensor and the gauges did not start working like some suggested
  • Tested the CPS using a multi meter on Ohms and a YouTube video and as far as I could tell it appeared to be in the "ok" bracket but happy to check again if a test procedure is recommended.
  • Dashboard removed and connections checked... like new
  • Using pin out diagrams I checked Voltage supply to the PCM and the grounds, however i discovered that a lot of the wiring is daisy chained, i assumed this is due to the jeep having the ASD system.
  • Swapped the ASD with the Relay next to it that is the same and was recommended by many forum posts and YouTube videos
  • Bench tested the relays in the engine bay fuse box and they were all fine
This testing led me towards the PCM...
As its 2001 it has the skim / code matching PCM's so this made it a lot harder to just swap in and out like some suggested.
No one in the UK seemed to offer the repair and testing services so I sent to Flagship 1 and they confirmed that the PCM is functioning CORRECTLY.
This was returned to me and now I am left banging my head against a wall as I need to fix this.

Before all this happened, the jeep was an amazing car. Never let us down, multiple trips from the UK to France and pulled a few people out of trouble on the rare occasions we had snow...

I would really apricate any:
  • Help
  • Advice
  • Ideas
  • Tests
It means a lot to the family and currently it sits in the garage un loved
Additionally, there are very few in the UK Registered and working, especially in the condition that mines in.

Thankyou for taking the time to read my post.

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts
The one thing you did not state is if you bled the injectors after it ran out of fuel. I don't have Jeep TD experience, but I have had several diesels and if I ever ran them out of fuel, it was necessary to bleed the injectors to get it to run. To do this crack the fitting open a little with out removing it. Crank the engine over until you get each of the injectors to spit fuel. Then re tighten the fittings

Reactions: Elliott XJ

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The one thing you did not state is if you bled the injectors after it ran out of fuel. I don't have Jeep TD experience, but I have had several diesels and if I ever ran them out of fuel, it was necessary to bleed the injectors to get it to run. To do this crack the fitting open a little with out removing it. Crank the engine over until you get each of the injectors to spit fuel. Then re tighten the fittings
Thankyou for your comment, I have now been informed that they were bled as this was the first thing the mechanics did. I am not sure how long ago this was though.
Since then I have removed the metal fuel line on injector 1 to see if there was evidence of fuel.
Would this mean I would need to re bleed them?
*I have now added the injector bleeding to the post

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Diesels are supposed to be simple. I have no experience with this engine though, and I doubt many do, it wasn't really much of an option here in America. You are more likely to find them overseas I think.

You should only need fuel and air really, but if they have it locked up with sensors, you should check and clean all your grounds, put in a fresh battery if you havent already, and see what you can do about that no bus code. It sat for awhile, hopefully in a rodent-free environment? Might have to check for critters eating the wires.

If you have fuel at the injectors (which should probably be re-bled since it sat so long), then I think fuel should be good. Did you replace the CPS or just remove and reinstall? When you got the PCM back, did you try it again? I wonder if it needed a reset after running out of fuel or something. (I'm reaching here, I know)

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I'm glad you started your own thread for this, the other one was referring to a gas engine, and since you have a diesel, that really changes the game.

As for your dash issue, you may want to find a wiring diagram for that model xj that you have and trace some wire, being that you have multiple gauges out like that, I have a feeling there is a bad ground somewhere. I had that recently on my 95, ground broke at the block, and I list multiple gauges til I found the break and repaired it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Diesels are supposed to be simple. I have no experience with this engine though, and I doubt many do, it wasn't really much of an option here in America. You are more likely to find them overseas I think.

You should only need fuel and air really, but if they have it locked up with sensors, you should check and clean all your grounds, put in a fresh battery if you havent already, and see what you can do about that no bus code. It sat for awhile, hopefully in a rodent-free environment? Might have to check for critters eating the wires.

If you have fuel at the injectors (which should probably be re-bled since it sat so long), then I think fuel should be good. Did you replace the CPS or just remove and reinstall? When you got the PCM back, did you try it again? I wonder if it needed a reset after running out of fuel or something. (I'm reaching here, I know)
Hi, Thankyou for your reply.

I did not replace the cps unit yet. I read that a common cause of the no bus and gauges out is a bad cps. A test for this is to unplug the cps and if the gauges came back then its the sensor.

Additionally, I followed a few threads and a video on how to test it with a multimeter. From what i gathered, it passed the bench test.

Would you recommend just replacing it?

I will re bleed the injectors and go through all of the grounds but I think its a deeper issue...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm glad you started your own thread for this, the other one was referring to a gas engine, and since you have a diesel, that really changes the game.

As for your dash issue, you may want to find a wiring diagram for that model xj that you have and trace some wire, being that you have multiple gauges out like that, I have a feeling there is a bad ground somewhere. I had that recently on my 95, ground broke at the block, and I list multiple gauges til I found the break and repaired it.
Hi, thanks for your recommendations. Still getting used to these forums.

I will go through the grounds.

Do you know of any good sources for diagrams?

How many grounds should i be expecting with these jeeps?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.