Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 60th anniversary XJ I would like to put a 3-3.5 inch lift on. Any thoughts on which is the best? I have heard RC are no good, true? I'm leaning toward the Rubicon 3.5 but looking for advice.

·
Premium Member
9,294 Posts
Rubicon express is the better of the two.

Reactions: TgRamsey

·
Super Moderator
10,522 Posts
Hello and Welcome to the forum.

I have the RE 3.5" lift with the heavy duty front coils. I am happy with it. It is a little stiff but I am OK with that.

What are your plans? Wheel the hell out of it, daily driver weekend warrior. or never leaving the pavement?

Here is mine with cut fenders and 33" tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will mostly use it off road but want to be able to get to the trail in relative comfort. In other words I want to be able to do highway speeds and maintain the stock ride as much as possible.

What about Skyjacker?

·
Super Moderator
10,522 Posts
To me skyjacker is mostly trucks. Not many of the local jeepers use it. Zone, RE and terraflex seem to be common. Clayton and BDS are pricey but well worth the investment.

RC has a history of being cheap and the parts wear out fast.

·
Premium Member
9,294 Posts
One thing I have noticed abpout Skyjacker is that their spring rates are higher. I like softer springs off road

·
Registered
287 Posts
I had an XJ with the 3.5" R.E. Superflex, spacer, and extended shackles to make it around 4.5" total lift. I felt like it rode real well. Later, I had an XJ with the 4.5" Zone Offroad and it road much harder. Both flexed well off road. Here's the XJ that had the Zone 4.5" lift. It easily fit 33s with the fender flares. The XJ with only the RE 3.5" Superflex lift (before spacers and shackles) would only comfortably fit 31s.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
3.5" r.e.

Ended up doing a 3.5" R.E. Superide, I got about 4" out it. I was able to fit 265/75/16 no problem.

I'm not 100% happy. It is super stiff and as a result I'm getting a lot of road noise and I feel every bump. I haven't wheeled it yet, so we will see how that goes. I will post a picture once I get tires.

·
Super Moderator
10,522 Posts
Ended up doing a 3.5" R.E. Superide, I got about 4" out it. I was able to fit 265/75/16 no problem.

I'm not 100% happy. It is super stiff and as a result I'm getting a lot of road noise and I feel every bump. I haven't wheeled it yet, so we will see how that goes. I will post a picture once I get tires.
How much air in your tires? I went from 42 to 35 and made a world of difference.
How do your rear shackles look? Are they angled, or fairly straight up and down?

·
Premium Member
9,294 Posts
In addition to Skyjackers high spring rates, what are your shock ratios? I use a 90/10 ratio. Makes for a much smoother ride than a performance type shock

·
Super Moderator
1,132 Posts
There's a lot of people that bad mouth Rough Country. Many are the "I knew a guy that......." yes RC did have some issues at one time but seem to be doing much better. I have a RC 3-3.5 lift on my XJ and haven't had problem one with it. Came with lower control arms that help clean up the geometry of the front with the lift. I used the add-a-leaf kit because I wanted to stiffen up my rear springs as I use the Jeep on our farm and pull and carry a lot. I also added lift shackles to get a better shackle angle. All in all it works very well. Front springs are stiff but I have a winch and winch bumper and it didn't sag much when I installed it. On road ride is ok but I dont travel far on paved roads. Time will tell how it will hold up but in the 2 years I've been running it no problems at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts

How do you measure the lift height? You should never run more than 30 psi in those tires. The stiff sidewall E rated 16" tires ride like crap anyway. That was the first thing I replaced on my Rubicon when it was stock. RE shocks aren't known for their smooth ride either. Rancho RS5000X are much better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How do you measure the lift height? You should never run more than 30 psi in those tires. The stiff sidewall E rated 16" tires ride like crap anyway. That was the first thing I replaced on my Rubicon when it was stock. RE shocks aren't known for their smooth ride either. Rancho RS5000X are much better.

I just measured the distance from the frame to ground before and after the lift.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I took it off road this weekend and the ride improved a bit. I think the suspension just needed broken in. The Super-Ride doesn't have great articulation but that is trad off for better handling on the highway. I going to buy sway disconnects, which should help.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
I took it off road this weekend and the ride improved a bit. I think the suspension just needed broken in. The Super-Ride doesn't have great articulation but that is trad off for better handling on the highway. I going to buy sway disconnects, which should help.
Looks good. Give it some time to settle in. Mine rode stiff for a few weeks. Did you remove the rear sway bar? Removing that and front disconnects help off road. Mine with 33s (28 psi) and I ended up with 5.5" of lift.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,105 Posts
My vote goes to MetalCloak for arms (although I hear good things about their springs), however, if you want(ed) a full kit, RE is a solid choice.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My vote goes to MetalCloak for arms (although I hear good things about their springs), however, if you want(ed) a full kit, RE is a solid choice.
Currie double adjustable CAs with Johnny joints are by far the best. No comparison to MC.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
If you want beef run Ironman Andy's upper and lower. Had them on my orange jeep I run core 4*4 arms now and they are pretty good.

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts