Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I skipped a rock and accidentally broke the fog light glass lens and bulb on my 2001 Jeep Cherokee. I decided to just buy a brand new set of Mopar OEM fog lights and replace it. I was wondering how to replace the bulbs. I would like to buy some H3's but I cannot get the lens off. Is it possible to remove it?

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I skipped a rock and accidentally broke the fog light glass lens and bulb on my 2001 Jeep Cherokee. I decided to just buy a brand new set of Mopar OEM fog lights and replace it. I was wondering how to replace the bulbs. I would like to buy some H3's but I cannot get the lens off. Is it possible to remove it?
It's been awhile since I've done it but there is a little cover on the bottom (I think) held in by two screws. Remove the screws, the cover and the bulb is exposed. H3? I'm not sure, but Silverstar makes some replacements.

When you look in there you'll see a piece of metal in front of the bulb. I removed mine so it would let more light out the front. I cannot reason why they would block the light from the front of the bulb! It isn't a reflector just a bulb shaped hunk of metal! :brickwall:

Oh, btw, I've broken two of those now. I have purchased two from ebay. The first one was $40 shipped, the second one (just got it last week) was $22 shipped. Used yes, but I don't care. They are small and if I remember correctly Mopar wanted $130 EACH!!! for them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will give that a try. Yeah, I saw what Mopar wanted. By chance, a guy on Craigslist had a brand new pair (still in the boxes!) and sold them to me for $85.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was making that WAY harder than it needed to be. Hahaha...I just popped that top piece off with a flat head screw driver. Thank you so much!

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I was making that WAY harder than it needed to be. Hahaha...I just popped that top piece off with a flat head screw driver. Thank you so much!
Yeah, it's easier than changing a headlight. You never know the skill level of people though, so I find it's best not to start with "Are you stupid?" :rofl:

Look for that piece of metal I told you about, yank it! I just stuck some needle nose pliers in there and twisted.

Oh, I've never adjusted mine, but I believe you can adjust them up and down by using a phillips head screwdriver. Side to side I "think" but it will take a torx, again, doing all this from long term memory.

I saw several NEW fog light replacements on ebay, but they were all aftermarket and not mopar. If you got the mopar's for $85, great deal!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I saw that metal shield thing. Pointless! I was elated to say the least about the $85 Mopar's. Thank you SO much for your help, I really do appreciate it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
that metal thing is a deflector to make the light reflect backwards onto the housing reflector and project a more FOG friendly beam.
with the metal deflector gone there is nothing to focus the beam properly. it will give off what appears to be a better/brighter pattern but there is nothing there to actually "focus" said pattern

1 - 8 of 8 Posts