Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

261 - 280 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
Nuh, ear plugs melt to your ear. That's when the fun begins.yeah, that's a don't ask me how I know.......lol
its funny you say that because i was honestly thinking about that and don't want melting plugs or slag in my ear hah. Ill just stay with the ear muffs on then hah

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
Well got the passenger side frame stiffener installed on friday last week. I am starting on my 2x6 install this friday. I will take some pictures and post them up for you. I plan on cutting the rockers and mounting the rocker up. I am going to use 2x2 to mount it to the frame to the rocker. I may be cutting into the floor to allow more clearance. also going to rip all the carpet up and fix all the cancer in the floors and modify the WRX seats to the xj seat brackets.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
Well ripped carpets out to find all the cancer! Super fun I'll keep posting picture as it goes eating dinner

Attachments

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
Well got the passenger side all cut out, and cleaned up. Its honestly not as bad as the first pictures looked and not as bad as i was expecting to get it all cut out. Definitely want to wear a mask and your PPE while doing it. Grinding the seam sealer out was very stinky and very smoky definitely glad that i had the mask on haha. heres the progress pictures! Will be resuming tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
Nice light show :D

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Its time to do my passenger side floor. Not too bad, but I want to do smaller patch(es) than the whole pan I did for the driver side.

Good job on gutting the whole interior up front for this job. I did mine with center console and carpet still in it! Not fun to work around or keep from burning things.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
Yeah, the carpet was really bad that's why I ordered replacement vinyl instead of going carpet again. So that will be here Tuesday. I will be working on the floors and 2x6s this weekend for sure. Should be able to get the passenger side patched tonight and then at least the driver all cut out tonight. then tomorrow get the driver patched then start figuring out how to mount the WRX seats to the factory seat brackets. so we'll see how this weekend goes. Probably wont be all back together till next weekend but that's ok. My friends don't care if I just leave it in their garage haha

·
Super Moderator
10,179 Posts
Veddy Nice!

I welded my frame stiffeners in before my floors cause I painted the inside of my frames with a POR 15 knock off. And after everything was welded I used the 3' hose on fluid film and spayed the inside from the front to rear.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #269 (Edited)
Veddy Nice!

I welded my frame stiffeners in before my floors cause I painted the inside of my frames with a POR 15 knock off. And after everything was welded I used the 3' hose on fluid film and spayed the inside from the front to rear.
Yeah same here did the stiffeners a few weeks ago as well, I'm glad i had those on there before doing the project for sure! I didn't do any spare of the inside of the frame rail, looked damn near rust free on the actual "frame" section. just the floor metal was bad. I did get the driver side all cut out (forgot to take more pictures :brickwall: ) but, i did take some 16 gauge flat sheet metal and made my own floor pan. took some time to get the angles right and used zinc weldable primer to the edging and the full underside of the replacement pan.

Before spraying the primer i did clean the metal with metal preping wipes and allowed to dry to ensure the primer would stick. Applied two coats of the primer to all the edging and the underside of the replacement panel. By the time i got the piece of metal bent and tacked in it was about 1030 at night and didn't feel like waking the neighbors or my friends kids up with the hammer. So we called it a night. I will be back at it tomorrow morning in 7 hours haha. fun stuff. Definitely time consuming thats for sure! Still have soo much to do!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #270 (Edited)
So i got the driver side all tacked in and then used the metal bonding seam sealer to the inside and outside of the pan replacement. I went to cut out the template for the passenger side that i made with cardboard and the sheet was about 4" too short so had to go to the metal yard once again. but had to stop working on it after that due to going to a baseball game tonight. But here is the progress of the drivers side, have to wait 24 hours minimum before you can apply any paint to the sealer.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Good work, man. It’s always inspiring and informative to me, as someone who has never welded but wants to someday, to see someone else tackle the down and dirty job of fixin floors.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #272
Oh yeah man, its definitely time consuming I literally thought it would take me maybe 3 days to do it after work. Only able to put in like 5 hours a day sucks too. If I could do it consistently it realistically probably would take about 3 days, but I have Ford training this week so I only have Wednesday night to work on it then hopefully all day Saturday I can too. But once the floors are done then i can treat the rest of the floor with rust neutralizer and then finish it up with some undercoating. Should be sweet! My vinyl replacement flooring will be here tomorrow as well super excited for this too!

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Took me over 3 weeks in an unheated shop in the winter at a separate location from my house, only putting in a couple hours a day cause you gotta wait for paint to dry lol. Id say 5 days is making great time!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
So I got pretty far tonight after work. Got the passenger side floor pan all welded in and sealed the underside and top side. Ground down all the surface rust in the back cargo area of the floor and then wiped clean and vacuumed. After this I applied the rust neutralizer spray. Holy hell that stuff is super potent. Had a charcoal mask on and still super strong. Have to wait 24 hours before applying any paint to the surface. So I should be back at it on Friday or Saturday.

On a side not I got my new vinyl carpet, new front door seals so the water stops leaking on my wife Haha, and also got the jcr center console bracket and also got my new bump stops for the rear that are non existant. So it was an awesome day for sure!

Attachments

·
Registered
949 Posts
got the jcr center console bracket
Nice work. At some point I hope to get my carpet out. Would like to give my floor a real good look. From where I have peeled up carpet here and there it looks really good so far. Want to finish my sound deadening someday. I toy with the idea of buying that JRC bracket too. Mine is not busted but it boils down to a while I am there thing. Just the $60 price tag is bugging me. For what it is. Even the dirtboundoffroad one is about $52.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #276
Nice work. At some point I hope to get my carpet out. Would like to give my floor a real good look. From where I have peeled up carpet here and there it looks really good so far. Want to finish my sound deadening someday. I toy with the idea of buying that JRC bracket too. Mine is not busted but it boils down to a while I am there thing. Just the $60 price tag is bugging me. For what it is. Even the dirtboundoffroad one is about $52.
Yeah its a scary feeling ripping the carpet up and seeing whats underneath haha. I knew my rust was bad but didn't realize it was that bad till the carpet was up. So when you do it b ready for surprises.

Yeah the center console bracket i figured i might as well do it because A) it was broken any way and i want to keep the 97+ console in my 92 i like the way it looks better. Also Ralph my buddy found this one the day after i bought it might be a option for you. https://www.amazon.com/BBBOX-Cherokee-Console-Support-1997-2010/dp/B07H3746Z7/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=bbbox+xj&qid=1557407099&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spell

·
Registered
949 Posts
Yeah its a scary feeling ripping the carpet up and seeing whats underneath haha. I knew my rust was bad but didn't realize it was that bad till the carpet was up. So when you do it b ready for surprises.

Yeah the center console bracket i figured i might as well do it because A) it was broken any way and i want to keep the 97+ console in my 92 i like the way it looks better. Also Ralph my buddy found this one the day after i bought it might be a option for you. https://www.amazon.com/BBBOX-Cherokee-Console-Support-1997-2010/dp/B07H3746Z7/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=bbbox+xj&qid=1557407099&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spell
Found it the day after? And you still refer to him as your friend? LOL.
Put it in my Amazon cart to not loose track of it. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #278
Found it the day after? And you still refer to him as your friend? LOL.
Put it in my Amazon cart to not loose track of it. Thank you.
Haha yeah i guess I'm still his friend :rofl::rofl: . Well got out of training early today and was able to paint the floors in the jeep and get the vinyl laid out to get the creases out of the vinyl. Im going to be back at it around 8am tomorrow to get the vinyl installed and then get the interior all put back together! Finally all coming back together.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #280
Crunch time the trails will be opening up soon! I wish I was as ambitious as you have been.
Exactly! Got to get going on it Haha I still have to do the 2x6 but want to at least get all the interior stuff done before continuing lol.

261 - 280 of 307 Posts