Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

281 - 300 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Haha yeah i guess I'm still his friend :rofl::rofl: . Well got out of training early today and was able to paint the floors in the jeep and get the vinyl laid out to get the creases out of the vinyl. Im going to be back at it around 8am tomorrow to get the vinyl installed and then get the interior all put back together! Finally all coming back together.
Going to want to see the finished project here. Could you take a closer shot of the material. Curious as to the texture, finish, what ever the word is of the vinyl.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #282 (Edited)
Well worked on the jeep today for about 10 hours or so. Definitely a tedious process. a heat gun was a huge help, but even with that couldn't get the vinyl laid perfectly in the jeep, but did my best and am happy with the out come so far. Got the driver seat mocked up, had to complete create new brackets for the seats to work definitely way more work than i was anticipating for sure, but also have minor adjustments to make it more "solid" but here is the pictures!

Attachments

·
Registered
949 Posts
Well worked on the jeep today for about 10 hours or so. Definitely a tedious process. a heat gun was a huge help, but even with that couldn't get the vinyl laid perfectly in the jeep, but did my best and am happy with the out come so far. Got the driver seat mocked up, had to complete create new brackets for the seats to work definitely way more work than i was anticipating for sure, but also have minor adjustments to make it more "solid" but here is the pictures!
Thanks for the shot. Nice texture. The heat gun was a good thought. Front looks like you got it laid out real nice. How did the back come out over the wheel wells? All in all guessing you are real happy with it. LOL.

Almost forgot to ask. How thick is that? Cause I am curious if you think it would fit under a my existing molded factory Jeep carpet to act as a little sound deadening material.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
Thanks for the shot. Nice texture. The heat gun was a good thought. Front looks like you got it laid out real nice. How did the back come out over the wheel wells? All in all guessing you are real happy with it. LOL.

Almost forgot to ask. How thick is that? Cause I am curious if you think it would fit under a my existing molded factory Jeep carpet to act as a little sound deadening material.
I dont remember how thick off the top of my head but maybe 1/8" i can measure it when i get back over there.

I thought I added the picture of the rear oops haha, here that picture is.

And you may be able to put it under the factory carpet, only thing i don't like about the whole install is that it doesn't flex as much as id hoped even with the heat gun. but with time i was able to for the most part get it. had to add some relief cuts in areas that became exposed (wasn't happy about that) but all in all it is much better than what was in there before thats for sure. Also with the vinyl it doesn't have that plush carpet to help fill gaps too so some creases and areas that would normally be "hidden" are now exposed. But you win some and loose some haha. Also while in there relocated my air tank and compressorfor my train horns next to the power tank. saved some space for sure!

Attachments

·
Registered
949 Posts
I dont remember how thick off the top of my head but maybe 1/8" i can measure it when i get back over there.

I thought I added the picture of the rear oops haha, here that picture is.

And you may be able to put it under the factory carpet, only thing i don't like about the whole install is that it doesn't flex as much as id hoped even with the heat gun. but with time i was able to for the most part get it. had to add some relief cuts in areas that became exposed (wasn't happy about that) but all in all it is much better than what was in there before thats for sure. Also with the vinyl it doesn't have that plush carpet to help fill gaps too so some creases and areas that would normally be "hidden" are now exposed. But you win some and loose some haha. Also while in there relocated my air tank and compressorfor my train horns next to the power tank. saved some space for sure!
My '00 is just a DD. But even for a DD I can see the advantages to having a vinyl floor.

Couple things that I have noticed though. For some strange reason they seem to not be available for '97 and up. I don't know why. I can't imagine what would be different in a '96 down to a '97 up. Also people have expressed what you are going through cause it is not molded.

On top of that while I kind of like the idea it does not really go along with my Limited/Up Country/European Orvis clone I am shooting for. But for sound deadening that would be different.

Police versions come with a molded rubber floor. Which very rarely ever come up for sale and when they do are usually $300. Most times from a '96 down when they do, which would work for you, but for whatever reason technically does not appear to work with '97 and up. To get a proper fit. Which is what got me on researching these vinyl floors in the first place. Either to run as is or use for sound deadening. And while buying some of that EZ Cool stuff for sound deadening is cheaper then what you are doing I still wonder if it would be better.

Then of course you come along, so now I have access to someone that has first hand experience with it, so of course I have to pick your brain about it. LOL.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #286
So the vinyl was somewhat molded but not as much as I was hoping. As far as quality it appears to be really nice vinyl. I also noticed the 97+ not available. I believe it's because the front seats are mounted completely different than the 96 down. The 97+ have a cross bar to mount the seats to. Idk why this would be an issue with a mold...considering they offer replacementolded carpet but not vinyl. But I think it will he quite than the carpet. But I haven't driven it yet still have to mock up the passenger seat in place to get that going. Took me about 2 ho8rs to fab brackets for the driver to sit well. I had to take a hammer and pound into the trans tunnel to clear the seat tracks. It didnt mess with anything like wiring or clearance of the trans or trace so I'm good there. But just lots of work and trimming.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Nice work all around man. I’m kinda diggin the vinyl, you’ll have to let us know how it holds up and how you feel about it after a while.
Hopefully Someday I’ll be reviewing this thread when I get around to the floors in the Wagoneer.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #290

·
Registered
949 Posts
Yeah the police one looks more like a "plush" rubber carpet than a full vinyl. but it looks pretty sweet! Id rock that for sure!
I was just noticing the fit. Just thought it would be better.
Did not really think of the material itself. I am kind of leaning towards your vinyl floor being a better option.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #292
well guys I got all done today. I worked on it last night for a few hours. then finished wiring some stuff and getting the trim and everything. Was a long process but its done. Only thing left to do is to get these 2x6s installed. Will be doing that after the holiday weekend. Then I will finally be able to go wheeling and not have to worry about anything. Here is the final pictures still need to clean the dash and everything to get most of the work dust out of the vehicle. Sorry for the crappy pictures. Will take more later in the week.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
FN Fantastic!
Let us know what you think of the seats after some drive time!
Flooring looks great and bet it feels good knowing it’s all tidy underneath

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Don't know if I asked before or not......why do you have both OBA and a Powertank? I am under the impression Powertank covers pretty much every use for OBA and is, in fact, OBA. If you'll pardon my bluntness for a second, it seems redundant in a negative way (considering some redundancy is a good thing) in regards to space....thus my asking.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #297
Don't know if I asked before or not......why do you have both OBA and a Powertank? I am under the impression Powertank covers pretty much every use for OBA and is, in fact, OBA. If you'll pardon my bluntness for a second, it seems redundant in a negative way (considering some redundancy is a good thing) in regards to space....thus my asking.
Thanks guys! So glad this is part is all over haha!

And Superman good question, and you haven't asked yet haha. But the reason i have both is because the OBA is for my air horns, and I have the Powertank for running air tools and airing up tires. Also the main reason I even have the PowerTank is because I won it in a raffle for $40 haha. I probably wouldn't have bought a name brand power tank if i didn't win it! ahah.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Thanks guys! So glad this is part is all over haha!

And Superman good question, and you haven't asked yet haha. But the reason i have both is because the OBA is for my air horns, and I have the Powertank for running air tools and airing up tires. Also the main reason I even have the PowerTank is because I won it in a raffle for $40 haha. I probably wouldn't have bought a name brand power tank if i didn't win it! ahah.
Got it! Any reason you dont run the air horns with the oba and sell the power tank to a buddy? Or install in a tow rig!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #299
Got it! Any reason you dont run the air horns with the oba and sell the power tank to a buddy? Or install in a tow rig!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
hahah! no i do really like the power tank ahah and because it was 40 bucks haha

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #300
Just want to keep track so if we find out its junk, I don't buy it lol. Process of elimination when it comes to these cheaper headers.
Hey Superman, i was going through my build post and saw this. To this day my header on my xj isn't cracked... i thought it was but it was just the manifold gasket haha. but so far so good :)

281 - 300 of 307 Posts