Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may a have been discussed before, but I have a 98 daily driven xj. I was wondering which 3" lift system had a better road ride. I would say 80-90% of my driving would be commuting to and from work (10-20% trails on weekends).

Rubicon Express
Rusty's
Rough Country

I would appreciate your advice. BTW, most of my mile are highway miles.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Stay away from rough country and rustys if you are interested in ride quality. Their coils and leaf springs are alright, but their shocks are horrible! I have rough country shocks on my jeep with a RE 3.5" lift and it rides ridiculously stiff! I hear RE shocks are pretty stiff as well. I would buy the lift and shocks seperate. OME and bilsteins great shocks btw.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
RE shocks are stiff and ride rough.I have the RE Twin Tube..My next set will be either OME or Bilstein.
I would have to agree with that, I have found the RE shocks to be considerably rough in comparison with my OME's.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
I would have to agree with that, I have found the RE shocks to be considerably rough in comparison with my OME's.
you should try switching from rancho 5000's to OME's. Man, the difference can't be explained in words.

·
Registered
557 Posts
RE seems to have a more desirable spring rate compared to most kits, with a possible exception to OME.

The RE Superride kit with OME or Bilsteins would be a great combination.

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts
I love my BDS, ride if pretty dam good. And flexes well offroad

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
To the OP, if you're considering RE at all, look at the Super Flex's not the Super Rides because the SF are geared more towards wheeling. That's not to say that it's not good on road (I love my SF on and off road), but the SF comes with quicker-disconnects and the super flex CA's - the SR doesn't.

·
Registered
557 Posts
To the OP, if you're considering RE at all, look at the Super Flex's not the Super Rides because the SF are geared more towards wheeling. That's not to say that it's not good on road (I love my SF on and off road), but the SF comes with quicker-disconnects and the super flex CA's - the SR doesn't.

Normally i would agree with you. But the OP gave me the impression that highway ride was desirable over a tad more articulation. Which is why i suggested the SR kit.

Considering that the SF joints need periodic maintenance and you'll need specialty tools and replacement parts to do it. Is the 10-20% offroad mileage worth the maintenance?

Personally i'd opt for a SR adjustable arm, unless his offroad is going to consist of running alot of rock when he does get on the trail. Just personal preference i guess..

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
I was wondering which 3" lift system had a better road ride. I would say 80-90% of my driving would be commuting to and from work (10-20% trails on weekends).
Normally i would agree with you. But the OP gave me the impression that highway ride was desirable over a tad more articulation. Which is why i suggested the SR kit.

Considering that the SF joints need periodic maintenance and you'll need specialty tools and replacement parts to do it. Is the 10-20% offroad mileage worth the maintenance?

Personally i'd opt for a SR adjustable arm, unless his offroad is going to consist of running alot of rock when he does get on the trail. Just personal preference i guess..
I definately understand your point-of-view, I guess my interpretation of the OP's comment was that he'd be wheeling most weekends. When I DD mine I would've used the same ratio of street to trail because M-F I'd be on the highway and the weekends I'd be on the trails. But you're right, unless we know what type of terrain he's going to be on it's hard to make a decision.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Spacers on top of the front coils and blocks under the rear leafs.

doesn't effect the ride at all and you dont have to mess with anything in the driveline or linkage.

it'll run you about 70 bucks

·
Registered
131 Posts
Spacers on top of the front coils and blocks under the rear leafs.

doesn't effect the ride at all and you dont have to mess with anything in the driveline or linkage.
hahahahahahaha

yea and keep the stock shocks right??

ahahhahahahaha :rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
should have made it clear. I am new to wheelin'. I live in N. GA so I have access to all sorts of different terrains.

I appreciate all your advice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts