Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for people with experience running 32, or 33" tires with 3.55 gears. Next summer I may be looking for a set of 32 or 33 inch MT's. Keep in mind this is my DD and I don't want it to become a slug.

Right now I'm running at about 1700-1900 rpm while in OD with my 31's at 60 mph. I know that is way below the powerband of the 4.0L. Out of OD at 60 mph I'm running at about 2200-2300 rpm which is where it runs smooth, and has good power to accelerate.

I know 3.55's are not the prefered gears to run with larger tires, but is it possible to do so without turning the Jeep into a slug, or totally trashing my mpg? Right now I rarely run the thing in OD anyway as I don't want to be pounding the mains to death by lugging the motor.

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts
Kim I'm running 32's now with 3.55 really not much difference between them and 31"s

·
Registered
131 Posts
33s sucked ball sack on 3.55s. i had 0 power. driving up the mtns to school was a nightmare with my jeep screaming at 3k for 10 minutes at a time. i never touched overdrive all summer.

oh, and i got 12 mpg on average. geared to 4.56 and jumped to 17.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Go with 32's if you still want some power. I am on 32's and thought about goin back to 31's but I dont think it is that big a change and I like the bigger tire look.

·
Registered
50 Posts
33s sucked ball sack on 3.55s. i had 0 power. driving up the mtns to school was a nightmare with my jeep screaming at 3k for 10 minutes at a time. i never touched overdrive all summer.

:agree: Going up to the slopes, I have to drop to third. I have 4.10s which will return my rig near stock.

Here's some calcs to help you too: http://intercotire.com/help.php

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
i have 3.55s and 35s...dont do it!

33s is the max..and thats pushing it...

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts

oh, and i got 12 mpg on average.
He's definately right. When I used to commute in my XJ (800 miles/wk) I would swap on my 30" tires to save fuel, and so that I could drive like a normal person. I wouldn't recommend going to 33's, then again you have to weigh some options. It'd be better to go with 33's in the long run, but you're making the initial sacrifice of having crappy gearing until you can afford to regear your axles. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to live with the 3.55's for a little while longer because I can't afford to regear right now.

Also, going from 31's to 32's isn't that significant of a difference, and you'd be better off going to 33's right off the bat because you may decide after 3 months that you wish you had done that initially.

·
Registered
378 Posts

X2. That was my experience exactly. Around town it was OK, but OD was useless on the highway unless I was happy cruising at 50mph (wouldn't go over about 55, or hold any speed, without dropping down into 3rd). Fuel economy was 11-12mpg all the time.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I am running stock gears and 33's and I can still white smoke them from a dead stop and run 80mph down the highway in OD. The only performance mod is my exhuast, but seeing about 13-14mpg

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am running stock gears and 33's and I can still white smoke them from a dead stop and run 80mph down the highway in OD. The only performance mod is my exhuast, but seeing about 13-14mpg
you are simply lieing. only way to smoke the tires on 33s and 3.55s is to power brake and with stock gears if you do that once on 33s you already burnt out your torque convertor.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
No Not lieing I have done it twice And also I didnt say I done it with my Baja Claws did I??? No Just plain 33" BFG Long Trail T/A tires No power breaking involved

·
Registered
642 Posts
I run 3.55's and 33's and I will admit it totally sucks. Around town it's ok but on the freeway, unless your on some real FLAT pavement it doesn't have much power at all. :thumbdown: I have to drop it into 3rd to pass even semi trucks. Also if you hit any sort of an incline, expect it do go in and out of OD quite often. And I get 12-13 mpg in town and the most I EVER got on the freeway was 16 flat.

And as far as smokin em' at from a stop and 80 mph on the freeway.... And I got Flowmaster ta boot. Powerbraking would be the only way to do that....if it's wet....on leaves.....and on smooth pavement. Even still I would be afraid of something blowing through the side of something. But mabey yours is a super jeep.........

·
Registered
872 Posts
I have 4.88s, and can't "smoke" the tires. They may chirp a bit, but no smoke. IDK, this is just mine, someone else may have more power!! I'd say that 33s are over doing it. These things aren't power houses, but they do OK. I feel that we should give them as much help as possible!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I ran 31" with 3.07s and my Jeep is like a friggen slug on the hills. I run a standard tranny and on a long incline on the freeway I sometimes have to drop as low as 3rd gear. Pain in the arse for sure, and more than a little embarrassing :rofl:

I am moving to 33" and 3.55 gears - not re-gearing, swapping in an 8.8 and matching D30. I expect similar performance to what I already have which is virtually none.

One day the plan is to go to 4.10s and stay with the 33" rubbers.

But in answer to the original question - don't expect much in the way of performance with 33" - 3.55. Should be okay for trails, but will most likely be terrible on the road - especially inclines.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am running 32 tsl super swampers and son't think the power is bad I have a short commute to workless than 4 miles and have no real need to drive the interstates,but it will not shift into OD until about 40 on my speedo, really closer to 50 though and that is being extremely light footed. The TSLs are very heavy also but I am getting 13-14 mpg around town. Hope this helps Chris
90 XJ
4" lift
32 x 10.5 TSL

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All you guys running 33's and 3.55's, with the AW4 what rpms are you spinning at at 60 mph? I rarely run mine in OD now with 31's. It is only spinning around 1700-1900 rpm at 60 in OD. Out of OD it is turning around 2300-2400 rpm. At that rpm it has plenty of umph, and runs very smooth.

·
Registered
642 Posts
All you guys running 33's and 3.55's, with the AW4 what rpms are you spinning at at 60 mph? I rarely run mine in OD now with 31's. It is only spinning around 1700-1900 rpm at 60 in OD. Out of OD it is turning around 2300-2400 rpm. At that rpm it has plenty of umph, and runs very smooth.
I think i'm runnin close to 1900rpm at 60mph in OD. I know that when I shift down into 3rd to pass someone it goes up to about 2800 though.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts