Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any problems with this size tire on a 7" rim? I have my 31 MT's on a set of stock Jeep steel wheels, and may end up going with a set of 32's this summer.

I guess I just like the look of the stock steel wheel:dunno:, and do not want to have to buy another set. I'm also kinda burnt out on the soft 8's. Too many rims with holes in them....boring!:thumbdown:

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts
It will be a bit tight, I would go 8"

·
Registered
600 Posts
What tire are you looking at buying? Tire manufactures usually post the recommended wheel width online.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm looking at Kumho, BFG MT KM2, and Maxxis. Haven't decided yet.

I have looked at the Crager V-5 rims too. Your right, they do look close to the stock rims.

Jeff, what is the BS on your rims?

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts
Im running 4" on 15x8's with the Kumhos

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yup well all those tire companies recommend at least an 8" wheel except the Maxxis which actually recommends a 9" wheel, but I'm sure you'd be fine with an 8" wheel.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well crap...guess I'll HAVE to get a new set of rims. Like I said, I'm sick of the soft 8's I have the AT's on now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
11.50s will work on the stock type rim, I have 12.50s on mine with about 25k on them. Not the optimal setup, but definently works.

·
Registered
872 Posts
33X12.5X15, on a 7" inch rim, and lovin it. It tucks the bead in tigher, and I find that I'm less prone to popping a bead. Not even CLOSE to a bead lock, but every little bit helps!! I'm planning on puting 35s on them. Mine is not a DD, but I have had my Pro Comp MTs for almost seven years not, and they over half of the tread left. They have even wear, and no cupping, IDK, just thought I'd chime in.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i had 32x11.50 15s on my stock jeep wheels 15x7, honestly the wheels pulled the tire in to much and it made it much like a roller skate riding down the road.
Also it absolutely ate my tires up for some reason. I got a set of 15x8" soft 8s and the ride is 10x better and the tires are last alot better to.

My XJ is a 98 with 4.5" Rough Country lift with 6" springs up front. 32x11.50 Summit Racing Mud Dawgs.

Also i do not recommend that tire to ANYONE!

Only reason im using them is they came on my jeep, going with the Cooper Discoverer STTs next love them!!!

Good luck!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Is there any specific reason why you don't recommend the Mud Dawgs? Those are the tires I am planning on moving up too soon.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Is there any specific reason why you don't recommend the Mud Dawgs? Those are the tires I am planning on moving up too soon.
they just arent any good all around in my opinion.

Now i do drive my jeep everyday and commute in it alot just because i like it alot. But i havent even put 7k miles on the jeep since i got it and the tires were brand new then. they are almost to the point that theyll work well on the road but offroad theyre about as good as slicks.

Also i dont really like the way they disperse mud, they hold alot of it and just wont let go hardly. Also couldnt get them to grip much on rock, however rock in georgia is alot different that like arizona or somewhere like that because the rocks here are wet year round and in az they tend to be dry alot more. SO for the setting we have in north ga they arent a very good tire.

I put a set of Cooper Discover STTs on my wrangler and put about 27k miles on them when i sold it back in august 08 and the new owner is still running them now and they drive it on average 50 miles per day. The STT is one of the best tires ive ever used and if i dont get bfgs this time the cooper will be my choice

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I was told by the tire guy at NTB that my 32x11.50 BFG MT would mount fine on a 7" wheel. I probably would have saved $500 and just did that instead of getting the wheels I have now.

·
Premium Member
9,248 Posts
It is not a matter of mounting. The rim recommendations have to do with how the tire is designed to be once mounted. It is not so bad with a radial, but mounting on a narrower rim tends to wear the center out of the tire, and shortens the life of the rest. It can, but not necessarily make a tire feel a little squirely in the corners because the rim will shift a little to the outside and cause some over steer. However a benefit is that it protects the tire bead and rim a little more off road. But if you plan to do a lot of highway driving, I would recommend the 8" rims

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Bumping another old a$$ thread!!!! I was wondering if anyone had pictures of the original 32's on 7 inch wide wheels on the jeep. Mudd sent me a pic of the 31X11.5'X15 but they werent on stock wheels. I'm thinking of putting 32's on my 15 X 7 Eagles that I have the 30's on now. But I am afraid they will look stupid (donut like). I have started other threads and searched all over and cannot find any pictures. HELP!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts