Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed MANY times before, but humor me.:D

First, thanks to jebmccall over on JeepForum for taking me a ride in his Jeep today in the freaking snow storm here in Indy. He's running 33's with 3.55's.

Jebmccall's XJ was running right at 1500 rpm @ 50 mph. Mine with 31's runs about 1600-1700 rpm at the same speed. Will 33's really make THAT much of a difference? His seemed to have enough "umph", no noticeable difference between his and mine.:dunno:

With my rims that have 4.750 BS would there be any rubbing issues with the LCA's? I assume most 33" tires are 12.50's. BTW, I have 4" of lift right now.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
You will eventually want to regear, but I am sure you will be fine for now. Just get used to constantly downshifting up hills and being in 3rd on the highway unless you are going 65mph+.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I say go for it..Trim the fenders a little.. You will need closer to 3.75 or 4" of BS for them though..I am going to run 32's on 3.55's with 4" of BS..Can't wait either.
Are you saying I'll HAVE to trim the fenders? Can't I bumpstop it? I don't have the front stock endcaps on it anymore. Can you say for sure it will rub on the LCA's with the BS I have now?:confused:

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
My rims are 4.5" backspaced, and I get no rubbing on my CA's. I rubbed really bad on the front fenders before I trimmed about 1.5" off, and now only rub a little bit, so I'm going to take another inch off.

As for the 3.55's, I really don't enjoy it. To keep your trans safe, drive it in "3" while around town, going up grades, and in general so that you don't constantly shift in and out of OD. This will also keep your trans temps a bit lower.

You can get 33's in 9.50 and 10.50 varieties, but they'll just look goofy IMHO.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I ran stock 3.55 gears and 33s for a year or so...streetability is fine...its the low range that kinda sucks...still low,just not low enough....u end up crawlin to fast...if that makes any sence?.But if u dont need a super low range,then it is fine.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't need a super low range, it is my DD anyway. I have wheeled it, and plan on doing more when work/family allows it. I really do not want to trim the fenders if I can help it.

In you guy's opinions is the stock tranny cooler large enough, or will I need to install a bigger one? Reason I ask is I've posted up about this on JeepForum too, and one post says the stock one might be too small. I already drive it in 3rd most of the time, ESPECIALLY around town. I do not want to pound the mains out of it by lugging the motor.

·
Registered
444 Posts
i ran 35s and 3.55s for quite awhile... but holy cow.. gears paid for them selves cuz after i switched to 4.10s the dang thing started gettin 16 17 mpg.. vs the 11 12 i was gettin with 3.55s

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had 3.55's with 33's for 2 weeks. I got the 4.56's and lockers in there. I can't believe I bothered with the 3.55's. I won't put a larger tire on my other rig till I have the thing gear'd. The taller tires don't just kill gas because of the ratio, its also because of the weight I would think.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Yes, the weight of the tires (along with skids, upgraded steering, additional gear that you carry) all add to worse gas mileage. When my XJ was on the BB and near-stock tires (235's) I got worse gas mileage because I had all skids, upgraded steering, sliders, and a toolbag in the trunk. The additional weight will hurt mileage - even though you may not "count" any of that stuff as "additional" weight.

Gears will also help mileage because you're putting less effort into acceleration. Offroad, gears will definately help. Like Crawl said, 3.55's and 33's are just too fast while wheeling - especially on anything that you're going downhill on.

·
Registered
872 Posts
It IS a lot harder on your transmission to run large tires with stock gearing. AW-4s run hot, and it will increase temps in the tranny!! It's like towing a heavy trailer all of the time, if that makes sence. I ran 33s with 3.55s for a while, and then I geared to 4.88s. It is by far the best thing I ever did!! Just wanted to throw my opinion in the ring, laters!! HTH!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
4.88s and 33's HOLY PISS!!!! talk about low... will it chirp the tires when it shifts lol
When I was still running 33s, I wish I'd done 4.88s instead of 4.56s. Now with 35s I really wish I had! :rofl: (and that was for highway driving, not off-road use).

To the OP: When I originally got my 33x12.5s, I ran them on 15x8s with 4.75" backspacing. This was with a Rubicon Express suspension lift with their lower arms which are of course narrower than the stock arms. The tires rubbed the lower arms at full steering lock. It didn't cause any problems though, other than wearing a bit of the powdercoat off the arms. It's absolutely not a problem unless you're simply annoyed by the rubbing. If you're still running stock arms though, the rubbing will be worse and could possibly damage the tires since the stock arms have that lip around the bottom edge. I'd recommend getting some good tubular flex arms (RE SuperFlex, those new RoughCountry ones, whatever) if you don't have a set already.

On the fenders, with 33x12.5s on 15x8s with 4.75" backspacing you can get away with very minimal trimming. Check out my old write-up on what I did to my rig: Jeepin.com: Fender trimming your XJ for 33's Since the fenders on the 97+ XJ are already bobbed even with the bottom of the grille, you'll probably only end up having to trim plastic inside the flare and wheel well. In the back you'll probably just need to bend a little metal back from behind the flare. I'd recommend some extended bumpstops up front if you don't have some already too, that'll help minimize clearance issues up front.

As for 33s and 3.55s, been there, done that... regearing made a world of difference. Better power, better mileage, regained the use of OD on the highway, no more down-shifting all the time on the highway. Around town it was never an issue (other than the crappy mileage), but it was a dog on the highway unless I kept it in 3rd.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
When I was still running 33s, I wish I'd done 4.88s instead of 4.56s. Now with 35s I really wish I had! :rofl: (and that was for highway driving, not off-road use).

To the OP: When I originally got my 33x12.5s, I ran them on 15x8s with 4.75" backspacing. This was with a Rubicon Express suspension lift with their lower arms which are of course narrower than the stock arms. The tires rubbed the lower arms at full steering lock. It didn't cause any problems though, other than wearing a bit of the powdercoat off the arms. It's absolutely not a problem unless you're simply annoyed by the rubbing. If you're still running stock arms though, the rubbing will be worse and could possibly damage the tires since the stock arms have that lip around the bottom edge. I'd recommend getting some good tubular flex arms (RE SuperFlex, those new RoughCountry ones, whatever) if you don't have a set already.

On the fenders, with 33x12.5s on 15x8s with 4.75" backspacing you can get away with very minimal trimming. Check out my old write-up on what I did to my rig: Jeepin.com: Fender trimming your XJ for 33's Since the fenders on the 97+ XJ are already bobbed even with the bottom of the grille, you'll probably only end up having to trim plastic inside the flare and wheel well. In the back you'll probably just need to bend a little metal back from behind the flare. I'd recommend some extended bumpstops up front if you don't have some already too, that'll help minimize clearance issues up front.

As for 33s and 3.55s, been there, done that... regearing made a world of difference. Better power, better mileage, regained the use of OD on the highway, no more down-shifting all the time on the highway. Around town it was never an issue (other than the crappy mileage), but it was a dog on the highway unless I kept it in 3rd.
Ok now you are scaring me. I have the 4:56 and want to go to 35's. Did you notice what RPM you are getting at 70 or 80 mph with the 35's and 4:56?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Ok now you are scaring me. I have the 4:56 and want to go to 35's. Did you notice what RPM you are getting at 70 or 80 mph with the 35's and 4:56?
Nah, nothing to be worried about. There's tons of guys out there like me that regeared for 33s, then went bigger. 4.88s would be better for 35s for sure, but I wouldn't not do 35s just because you've got 4.56s. I think I took maybe about a 2mpg hit on fuel economy, that was the biggest issue.

Runs about 2500rpm at 75mph. I really never run it over that though. Around 2350rpm at 70 I think.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Nah, nothing to be worried about. There's tons of guys out there like me that regeared for 33s, then went bigger. 4.88s would be better for 35s for sure, but I wouldn't not do 35s just because you've got 4.56s. I think I took maybe about a 2mpg hit on fuel economy, that was the biggest issue.

Runs about 2500rpm at 75mph. I really never run it over that though. Around 2350rpm at 70 I think.
I'm 2800 at 70 mph right now, 3000 at 80 mph, so 2350 at 70 would be pretty good. Of course I still have to worry about stopping it. Tough enough with 32's.

Thanks!

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts
Kim I went to 32" tires and 3;55 Its not bad. Cruise control on a hilly road it doesn't like. 32's with your lift probably not have to trim at all.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I'm at 2600 and some change at 70mph, which for me is exactly where I wanted to be. I built mine for rocks, and want creepy crawly speeds, which I pretty much have. I plan on doing a 4:1 231 in the farther than closer future, then I'll be plenty low enough!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Haha I got 33" and the stock 3.07s in the rear anything is doable it just depends on if you wanna row your Jeep down the road :thumbsup:. But I do wanna swap out to 4.10s but funds are tight. If your runnin 33" you defiantly are gonna want to trim your fenders just do a good job and relocate your fenders.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts