Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone know of threads on ford engine going into a comanche or Cherokee?
I have a chance to pick up a good working 351 mod trany and t case cheep.
I am thinking its would make a great engine for the Peyote prodject.
I want this thing to be a one off truck and well 351 wold make it hop..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I might if I can get the engine for what I want to for. I had a plan of a 350 or 327 being a chev guy but I can get this 351 for 400 with everything and a wiring harness.. ( not to mention that the t-case front out put is on the drivers side) 351's make great power plants and its carbed I love that Idea. no comuters.. what a great thought... I know alot of people will disagree but I think all that computer stuff is junk.. just more things to stop working and have to worry about...

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
To some point but a rad out of a newer truck will work and if not I will do like I did with the 454 and put some motorcycle rads and fans in the engine compartment on the inline on the main rad... done..
A friend of my brother and I has a 454 in his YJ pushing 800hp and before that he had a 350 with a supercharger...

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
It is my understanding that the YJ has more surface area for a rad which is why more people put 350's etc in wranglers because they have more surface area. It is also my understanding that the XJ is lacking the necessary surface area for proper cooling. But, give it a shot and prove me wrong.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh come on I had a 454 in a 91 thats wht I told Dave it would work in a YJ.. the 454 got better gas milage then the 4.0L most of the time. only time it worked realy was when I was off roading. when i did the 454 swap I made engine mounts this time I was hoping to find a company that sold them. I have to much fab work to do as it it with the ext cab to worry about making engine mounts...

·
Budget Master
1,145 Posts
i know jeepers like using ford parts, i dont know why..... but hey if it floats your boat and you think you can cool it do it! personaly id get me a big chevrolet engine... and mod the crap out of the jeep for it to work right lol.

not that i have any plans for that or anything.....

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am a chev guy but its more work then just putting a old ford engine as the t-case on the ford is on the drivers side for the front output. chev is on the passinger. so then you have to find the trany and t-case to adapt or buy an adaptor to make it fit something elts... and a 351M does make power. thats the Base for the monster truck Gravedigger.
the they use 351C heads as they have larger valves.. hhaahhaaa a friend and I built on one time for a bogger he was building... or it was the other way the m had bigger valves.. anyway I wont be doing that for this engine gust clean it off and drop it i. it will suck a lot of gasssssssss the way it is lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts