Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im realitivly new to doing major wrenching on jeeps, I was wondering if there are any "snares" I should be aware before i R/R my engine('99 XJ)?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whole engine. I wanna tear the current one down maybe stroke it or some thing. I just need to get it drivable for now.

·
Registered
607 Posts
The biggest headache I can think of is that they tend to use reverse Torx screws at the top of the bellhousing. Replace them before you drop the new engine in - they should be threaded 3/8"-16, but confirm for your later model.

They should accept an E12 socket, which you should be able to get at Sears (that was where I got my E-Torx sockets. Lisle brand. Reasonable price, considering I only use them to take out those wretched E-Torx screws so I can replace them...)

If you can get a look at them before you get started, you should be able to recognise the head - it looks like a Star of David, instead of a hexagon.

·
Registered
607 Posts
My advice is to make sure you get a donor as close to the same make/model as possible.
That too. If it's a 1999XJ, you'll want to find a 1996-1999 (XJ) or 1996-1998 (ZJ/WJ/TJ) donor. Check the head casting number, it should be 0630 (look midway back down the head, on the driver's side. The four-digit number you want should be on the outside of the valve cover, readily visible. Once you've decrudded it, anyhow...)

The XJ got the #0331 head and DIS for 2000, as I recall, with other models getting it a year earlier.

If you have a coil rail on the passenger side of your own cylinder head (indicating DIS and the #0331 head - which would make your XJ a very late 1999...) try to get a donor 2002-2007 (WJ/WK/TJ.) The 1999-early 2001 #0331 heads are the ones with the cracking issue, and I don't think you want to get your "#0331 Club" card validated - unless you already have!

It's very easy to tell the difference - if you have the #0630 head, you will have the distributor in the conventional place. If you have the #0331 head, you will not have a distributor and spark plug wires, you will instead have a coil rail screwed to the passenger side of your cylinder head, with three ignition coils and no wires to the plugs (just boots coming off of the rail.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts