Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am switching to Royal Purple HPS Synthetic Oil and RP Synthetic Oil Filter for my 1993 Grand Cherokee 4x4 Automatic with the Inline 4.0 6Cylinder.

I think the standard Specs Rec the 10W-30 but i would like to know asap what peeps recommend for the weight of the Oil. live in the Pacific Northwest Seattle Area so not too cold and not too Hot.

I am going with the Royal Purple so no advise needed on this oil or that just curious about which RP Oil Weight i should use so i can order up some tomorrow. The stores around here do not stock the new HPS Oil so going to get it online.

Thanks

I am running Royal Purple in both Front and Rear Diff's 75W-140 as i have the heavy duty Trailer Tow package installed on my Grand Cherokee and Manual recommends this weight for the tow package group. Expensive but amazing stuff.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
how many miles i always step it up after first 100k from 10-30 to 10-40 then around 200k i up to 15-45

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
its already synthetic soo i don't see any reason to put in thinner oil then recommended, personally i would just stick with 10-30, possibly a lil heavier if you have some crazy high mileage

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks and just close to 105,000 Easy miles so i will go with RP HPS 10W-30 then and give it a try and see.

·
Registered
280 Posts
yea stick with 10-30, i have 172k and i still use regular old 10-30, nothing fancy
I'm the same as Leon, 170k and still running 10-30, no leaks or issues that I've noticed, still holding good pressure.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
ran 20-50 in my uncles 88 490,000 when the odometer stoped working ran when we parked it now rebuilding it for my 88 and everything inside looks good

·
Registered
503 Posts
I run Rotela 15-40

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
I've been running 10w-30 Mobil 1 Synthetic since purchasing it at 108,000... after five years and 60,000, still holding at about 32psi & haven't had any major issues whatsoever.... gotta love that ultra reliable IL 6 4.0!!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Im running synthetic 5w40 shell rotella

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
yea stick with 10-30, i have 172k and i still use regular old 10-30, nothing fancy
X2 on this.

I never understood the hype to all these different type oils and additives.
Say you have 2 cherokees side by side, same years and approx same miles, one guy used sythentic and one guy used regular oil. Hoping they changed their oil regularly and at normal intervals. They both run excellent. How does the guy with the synthetic argue that the oil made his run longer when the regular oil did the same job? :confused:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ran 10W-30 (various brands) in my 4.0 for the last 12 years. My rear main started leaking about two years ago, but just a few drops. I listened to all the hype about Mobil 1 Synthetic and what a wonder oil it was, so I switched to that....ERROR :thumbdown:. My rear main started puking its guts out with that schit. Now using Valvoline 10W-30 Max Life for the last three oil changes and the rear main leak is barely noticable. 133,750 miles and excellent oil pressure with this brand of 10W-30.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
-rotela doesn't come it 15-40 only 15-45 eather way its good oil.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the 10-W-30 Royal Purple HPS and the RP Filter on and she is running great. Quieted down the lifters too. Very happy.........

·
Registered
283 Posts
X2 on this.

I never understood the hype to all these different type oils and additives.
Say you have 2 cherokees side by side, same years and approx same miles, one guy used sythentic and one guy used regular oil. Hoping they changed their oil regularly and at normal intervals. They both run excellent. How does the guy with the synthetic argue that the oil made his run longer when the regular oil did the same job? :confused:
alot of the hype is just hype as your describing, however there is alot thats not. simply put sythetics allow for higher heat tolerances than dino or conventional oil. your choice on which type you want to use should be based on the engine type you have and the applications in which you use it. our jeeps dont run hot, they leak and theyre not designed for long oil intervals so dino oils are great for them. however there are applications in which sythetic is a must, mainly almost all new cars. with their higher oil change interval a dino oil will shear too much to last the length of time that most manufacturers are recommending. which is also why most new cars come with sythetic oil.

Ran 10W-30 (various brands) in my 4.0 for the last 12 years. My rear main started leaking about two years ago, but just a few drops. I listened to all the hype about Mobil 1 Synthetic and what a wonder oil it was, so I switched to that....ERROR :thumbdown:. My rear main started puking its guts out with that schit. Now using Valvoline 10W-30 Max Life for the last three oil changes and the rear main leak is barely noticable. 133,750 miles and excellent oil pressure with this brand of 10W-30.
the reason the synthetic didnt work for you is because you already had a leak. of course its going to compound the problem once going to sythentic, its thinner.

-rotela doesn't come it 15-40 only 15-45 eather way its good oil.
rotella t6 15w40 is on the shelves of walmart. i buy 4 gal every 6 months for my truck.

those of you want more info on oil bobstheoilguy.com is a great resource.

also blackstone-labs.com does oil analysis' too which is a good indicator on how your engine is wearing. granted this platform does not suffer from high hp blown motors like others, which is why oil choice doesnt really matter as much here. but it never hurts to see what kind of wear is going on, on the inside.

·
Registered
2 Posts
CASTROL GTX 10W40 IS BEST OIL, STAY AWAY FROM SYNTHETIC IN THE 4.0 I GET 400,000 OUT OF THEM

1 - 20 of 23 Posts