Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,901 Posts
Howdy, I'll admit that's the first time I have ever heard anyone recommend Castrol oil, much less 10w40. Typing in all caps really gets your point across, but I wonder how many 4.0L engines you have run from 0 to 400,000miles by yourself only by using one brand and weight of oil? Claims like that are part of the hype mentioned in previous posts. Cherokees are old enough that no one can really claim to have run synthetic its whole life, and I have to believe that there are zero Jeeps out there that have only run a single brand/weight/type of oil its entire life.

I jumped on the Rotella bandwagon years ago and have no intentions of hopping off. 15w40 seems to keep it quiet, relatively leak-free compared to something thinner, and comes out pretty clean. Almost time to change it again, but I can't claim I've gotten 200,000miles because of it, just the last 50,000 or so maybe. At least 100,000 was on factory spec conventional oil, and another 50,000 on synthetic.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Used Mobil 1 in my 4.0l most of it life (0-140,000) but I too am on the rotella band wagon for the last 10 or 20 thousand miles....so why the switch?...leaks which you will unfortunately find out about . To answeryour question 10-40 would be my suggestion.

Reactions: Gluckmysock

·
Registered
142 Posts
I used to run 15w40 Rotella pretty much all the time in everything. I found Rotella T in 10W30 weight (Regular T4 Dino not syn or syn blend) carried at Atwoods and at Tractor Supply and switched back to 10W30 I saw a slight MPG increase (like 1 mpg). Oil Pressures stayed pretty much the same.

I've also ran a lot of SuperTech 15W40 diesel oil. Analysis of that oil showed add packs as far as ZDDP levels go as good as Rotella. Out of the Oils I've used and tested via analysis Mobil Delvac has shown the lowest levels of ZDDP out of the diesel oils I've tried.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts