• other

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wiil a 4.0 swap right into a 86 2 door 2.5l 4speed 4x4 laredo?
yes or no post your answer and back it with facts. im taking a yes or no poll.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
557 Posts
Yeah, it's not a simple job from what i have read. Lots of guys wish it were, mainly swapping a 4.0L into an early MJ.

If you google the swap i'm sure you'll find plenty of info to help you decide if this is something you want to do.

Find yourself a 4.0L XJ, swap your axles under and part out what you dont need. Might be a very cheap upgrade after it's all said and done.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You probably can make it fit but no it will not fit. To be honest if it were me I would save the time and just buy a XJ with a 4.0 in it since the vehicles arent very expensive anymore.
i hate 4 door vehicles and all the xjs are 4 door. dont want a 4 door.so exactly why wont it fit. i know in 87 they made a 2 door 4.0 whats the differance?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, it's not a simple job from what i have read. Lots of guys wish it were, mainly swapping a 4.0L into an early MJ.

If you google the swap i'm sure you'll find plenty of info to help you decide if this is something you want to do.

Find yourself a 4.0L XJ, swap your axles under and part out what you dont need. Might be a very cheap upgrade after it's all said and done.
you know what i was thinking the same thing since i have thos 4.11s:) but i cant find a decent one or a 2 door

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
i hate 4 door vehicles and all the xjs are 4 door. dont want a 4 door.so exactly why wont it fit. i know in 87 they made a 2 door 4.0 whats the differance?
From what I have read the firewall wont allow it to fit.

·
Registered
557 Posts
From what I have read the firewall wont allow it to fit.
In addition to Kyle's post..

Rad support is different, as well as the hood and latching. He would also need to swap the entire wiring harness as well. Transmission would need to be purchased, gauges i believe, this starts adding up pretty quickly. Unless he has a mint condition body/interior it might prove to cost prohibited.

If your sold on a 2 door keep searching. craigslist: washington classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Other Jeeps boards as well.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Not worth it. Buy another Jeep and move on, sorry it's the best way to do it!! Unless you plan on swapping in a 4.3, cause that would be BA, and just about as hard!!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not worth it. Buy another Jeep and move on, sorry it's the best way to do it!! Unless you plan on swapping in a 4.3, cause that would be BA, and just about as hard!!
gross i dont do the gm thing:eek:..yeah yeah i know the iron duke deal.seriously a 5.0 would fit in with a wc borg warner t5 and whatever transfercase fits it. best low end torque monster out there 300ft lbs of torque at 3,000 or so rpms with the 5.0 motors i mess with, efi of course. and the wireharness is simple and i have a extra from swapping a mpfi efi 5.0 H.O. into a 85 tbi gt vert.the 5.0 would be overkill for what i do in a jeep and askin to break stuff.im not sure what im going to do. i broke down a decided to buy a clutch kit for my xj so ill get the pleasure of doing that tomorrow. shop time says 5hrs:( but the slipping clutch is what got me daydreaming about a swap.so i wonder if the newer 2.5 motors were much better ? they are in wranglers right?mpfi too?i love this jeep, i wanna keep it a while. just got my door key cut today for my lock set and some 235/75/15 tires on sport rims, u now ones with the holes.im tryn to give this former auction jeep a new life:) besides i gotta keep my car count down. i just sold 2 mustangs so a second jeep isnt happening

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I was looking at an 87 comanche yesterday and it had a 4.oL in it. I hada v6 87 before and when I was looking at everything I did notice that the firewall did look different. mounting brackits alot of stuff.
anything can be done. I put a 454 in a 91 XJ before. my friend has a 454 in his YJ it pushes 800HP. but its a lot of work.
as far as gitting an old engine and doing all that work well its up to you if you want to do work. alot of people think I am going to do a lot of work to make my 4dr Comanche but I like to have fun building things so not much work for me.
as far as not wanting a gm motor.. ya best go find a 4.0L realy fast becasue that v6 is a Gm..... Have fun and FAB ON

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was looking at an 87 comanche yesterday and it had a 4.oL in it. I hada v6 87 before and when I was looking at everything I did notice that the firewall did look different. mounting brackits alot of stuff.
anything can be done. I put a 454 in a 91 XJ before. my friend has a 454 in his YJ it pushes 800HP. but its a lot of work.
as far as gitting an old engine and doing all that work well its up to you if you want to do work. alot of people think I am going to do a lot of work to make my 4dr Comanche but I like to have fun building things so not much work for me.
as far as not wanting a gm motor.. ya best go find a 4.0L realy fast becasue that v6 is a Gm..... Have fun and FAB ON
i dont have a pos 2.8 gm v6 i have pos 2.5l amc based off the gm iron duke that the put in camaros ans firebirds in the 80s and s10s. i didnt know athing about jeeps before i got this but i have work on enough cars to know that the jeeps had gm v6s that were really crappy. i would never have touched it if it had one. no offense to any 2.8 owners. now the frontwd version of the 2.8 is a nice motor..i had the GTU Beretta.that was a fun car!!!they later changed it to 3.1 by changing the stroke i think

·
Premium Member
9,255 Posts
i dont have a pos 2.8 gm v6 i have pos 2.5l amc based off the gm iron duke that the put in camaros ans firebirds in the 80s and s10s. i didnt know athing about jeeps before i got this but i have work on enough cars to know that the jeeps had gm v6s that were really crappy. i would never have touched it if it had one. no offense to any 2.8 owners. now the frontwd version of the 2.8 is a nice motor..i had the GTU Beretta.that was a fun car!!!they later changed it to 3.1 by changing the stroke i think
Here is the thing. You could possibly do it. But you will need to fabricate some stuff. I have done all this stuff when I installed my 4.3L. You will need to weld in a piece of sheet metal across the front cross member to support the 4.0L radiator. You will have to cut the top radiator cross member brackets and make a 4.0L top radiator cross member fit. You will have to get a 4.0L hood or fabricate places for the dual hood catches and install sheet metal and corresponding brackets. You will need the motor mounts, clutch stuff etc as well as the cooling fans. You will also want to upgrade your tranny.

Now a really wise person would use a Camero 3.4L with the stock motor mounts for a 2.8L, radiator shroud and so forth with a stock T5 and have a sweet set up without a lot of fabricating.

·
Registered
444 Posts
not sure if it this was already said cuz im feeling kinda lazy and dont wanna read all those super long posts haha.. but no the 4.0 will not swap RIGHT in.. you'd need everything under the hood pretty much.. wiring harness ECM radiator an all the other goodys..

If i were to do it i would find a '91 or newer doner rig that was wrecked or beat to hell.. somethin you could pick up cheap.. strip mine then put all the newer stuff in my '85

·
Registered
15 Posts
[/QUOTE]Now a really wise person would use a Camero 3.4L with the stock motor mounts for a 2.8L, radiator shroud and so forth with a stock T5 and have a sweet set up without a lot of fabricating.[/QUOTE]

this is true a guy on my f-body form (camaros and firebirds) has done this to his xj but his has been lowered if that matters at all

·
Registered
953 Posts
not worth it! just sell your rig and get one with the 4.0 in it already. it will be cheaper in the long run.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts