Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm from Nampa, Idaho and just joined this forum. I'm actually here on my son's behalf. We desperately need help with his 1985 Cherokee, or what I call "the never ending project". His 85 has a 2.8 that is dead, and recently he purchased a 4.2ltr I6 from a Wrangler with the intent to swap drivetrains. I asked him if he was sure the I6 would fit and he said yes. Of course he was wrong. Now, what kind of modifications to the firewall and/or front clip must we do to MAKE IT WORK? Are there engine and trans mount adapters that will help? My son loves his Jeep, so we are'nt interested in giving up. Any suggestions/hints/support would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. :D

·
Premium Member
9,184 Posts
The first thing I would suggest is to look into doing a 3.4L Camaro engine swap. That will bolt right in and give you significant performance gains. I think 93 or 94 was the best years to use.

I have an 86 and have a 4.3L in mine, and it was a lot of work. But I ended up doing all the front end work you will have to do. You will need to cut the radiator cowling out and add a flat plate to the cross member for the radiator to sit on. Get the top piece that holds the radiator in and use it as a guide for what you will have to cut out, as well as the radiator. You will need a 4.0L hood, then add hood catches from a 4.0L. You will be able to use the stock motor mounts for the 4.0L I think. You will also need to get a XJ tranny for the 4.0L, AW4 or AX15 and you will have to relocate the cross member and change the drivelines plus a hundred other little details.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts