Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
I ran 4.88`s and 33 boggers for like a year...it was fine....nice low range!... lots of jam in hi-range aswell!!...and when u switch to 35`s you`ll be good to go.I say,giver,u wont be disapointed!!:rock::thumbsup::rock::cheers:

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Ok what about 4.56 and 35"??? Cause this summer I am going to regear but maybe someday down the road I may go bigger lift and run 35"

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
I have driven various Jeeps with 4.56's and 35's, and honestly I really didn't mind it. They didn't feel sluggish, and it worked well around town, on the highway, and on the trails. I'm going to go with 4.56's because the 4.88's make me nervous in a Dana 30 because the ring gear is already small as it is with 3.55's.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Ok what about 4.56 and 35"??? Cause this summer I am going to regear but maybe someday down the road I may go bigger lift and run 35"
They're fine, but 4.88s would certainly be better if possible. You'll probably still find more guys running 35s and 4.56s than you will running 4.88s, simply because so many of us regeared back when 33s were "big", and have now all since gone up to 35s.

I have driven various Jeeps with 4.56's and 35's, and honestly I really didn't mind it. They didn't feel sluggish, and it worked well around town, on the highway, and on the trails. I'm going to go with 4.56's because the 4.88's make me nervous in a Dana 30 because the ring gear is already small as it is with 3.55's.
Ring gear wouldn't be the issue, it'd be the pinion gear.

There's really not much of a strength issue running 4.88s in either a high or low pinion D30 though. Sure, 4.56s would be stronger, but then 4.11s would be stronger than 4.56s, 3.55s stronger than 4.11s, etc. I'd almost go so far as to call the D30 4.88 weakness an internet myth.

Here's a post from Jerry Bransford over on JeepForum, he's a moderator for the TJ forum over there.

That weak 4.88 pinion rumor was put to rest probably ten years ago after they first came out. Whoever told that to you is just repeating rumors he heard.

I've been running 4.88 gearing for 6-7 years now on some of the toughest trails around and while I've busted u-joints, an axleshaft, a steering box, etc. on some very tough trails, I've yet to break either of my two 4.88 R&P gearsets.

So no, they're not weak. A 4.88 pinion is obviously not as strong as a 3.07 pinion gear but it's plenty strong for 37" tires and 5+ rated rock crawling trails.
That post was from 2007, fwiw.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts