Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 297 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i picked up this 1995 jeep cherokee sport 4.0 auto for $400. it has not ran in over 5 years. it looks pretty bad but the guy i bought it from was going to sell it for scrap. so i just made him an offer. he said it was running when he stopped driving it so i figure i could fix it or part it out.

i pulled the tank and it was gone beyond repair. so i ordered a new tank and hoses. the fuel sending unit was gone. i will try and use on off a 93. i cannot find one from a 95.

right now i am waiting on the mail man to bring me my parts and i will see if i can crank it up.

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
Yup, looks same as mine, but mine are shiny :D

·
Super Moderator
1,127 Posts
Good start, your fuel sender actually looks better than mine did when I pulled it. I was able to repair mine but am unsure of it's accuracy.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok

Good start, your fuel sender actually looks better than mine did when I pulled it. I was able to repair mine but am unsure of it's accuracy.
mine fell off. My run it without a gauge for a while

I noticed all the gunk was not rust and it would brush off. So I cleaned everything.
The send unit was missing wires

I am still wondering if a sending unit from a 93 will work in my 95

·
Administrator
6,414 Posts
It should since you're still post-Renix but pre-OBD2.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Might want to change all of the fluids since it has been sitting a long time.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks

Might want to change all of the fluids since it has been sitting a long time.
i agree with you. yesterday i took off the fuel filter because i was going to blow out the fuel line with an air compressor and too because i have ordered a new fuel filter. well to my surprise the gas looked very clean. it was nothing like what i found in the tank. i actually felt good about that.

but yes i will change the oil and probable run it a 100 miles or so then change it again.
probable put a new water pump thermostat and radiator too.
i have replace the radiator in some of my older trucks and noticed a great difference it the way it cools.

i am out of town but i have been getting emails that parts are arriving at my house. i really really want to see it i can fire this thing up this weekend.

the gas tank i order looks like it had not been painted. so i plan on painting it and putting that thing in.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
If it needs painting, you should coat it with something better than the first can of paint you find. Try a chassis saver or undercoating so itll last longer and you wont have to worry about rusting later.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok thanks

If it needs painting, you should coat it with something better than the first can of paint you find. Try a chassis saver or undercoating so itll last longer and you wont have to worry about rusting later.
I bought some primer and some paint. Not sure if that’s heavy enough. The old tank came in a plastic container so I was going to try and reuse that too

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
If you insists on using paint, then use good (self-etching) primer and follow-up with good paint. After that has had a week or so to cure, coat it with undercoating or bedliner or something tougher to avoid general rusting and rock chips, scrapes, etc.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok

If you insists on using paint, then use good (self-etching) primer and follow-up with good paint. After that has had a week or so to cure, coat it with undercoating or bedliner or something tougher to avoid general rusting and rock chips, scrapes, etc.
Now that I think about it. I have some bead liner stuff. Do you think that stuff is
Good to use

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
40vern
1999 XJ Cherokee

Gallery
Classifieds
My Jeeps
iTrader Rating
Well I installed my sending unit without the sending unit. Just a new pump. New tank. Replaced all the rubber fuel lines and return lines. Replaced the runner vent lines on the tank. Replaced the fuel filter and the fuel regulator. Then I fired that baby up. It is running.
I just stopped working at 7. I wanted to try and drive it but I saw a fuel leak at the fuel filter. I will try and see. What is going on with that tomorrow. Right now I am very happy.

I will worry about a fuel gauge later

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
40vern
1999 XJ Cherokee

Gallery
Classifieds
My Jeeps
iTrader Rating
Well I installed my sending unit without the sending unit. Just a new pump. New tank. Replaced all the rubber fuel lines and return lines. Replaced the runner vent lines on the tank. Replaced the fuel filter and the fuel regulator. Then I fired that baby up. It is running.
I just stopped working at 7. I wanted to try and drive it but I saw a fuel leak at the fuel filter. I will try and see. What is going on with that tomorrow. Right now I am very happy.

I will worry about a fuel gauge later

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
You could eliminate some of the aged look by pulling off the rest of the red pinstriped moulding. Imo it doesn't serve much purpose anyway.

1 - 20 of 297 Posts