Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching the forums and don't see what kind of Transmisison Oil i should use for my 1993 Jeep GC with the 42RE Automatic Tranny? Parts store sold me Dexron/Merc but I saw some people saying only Use ATF4+. The Jeep Dealer said ATF4+ as well.

So my question is which Brand of ATF+4 is preferred by Forum members for this Transmisison and the best results? I am dropping the pan in 2 days and need to know so i can return this Dex/Mer stuff and go buy the best ATF4+ stuff out there.

Are they all Synthetic if not should i change to Synthetic? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
FWIW, when i bought dextron for my AW4,(NOT 42re), i was told all brands of dex/merc were the same quality fluid, first time i used Valvoline and when i went back in to pick up another jug oreilly's guy told me they were equivalent quality (store brand VS Valvoline), of course that is not the same when you get into synthetic and additives and such, im 90% sure your 42re takes atf+4 anyways, so i dont know if that was much help or not.. :dontknow:

·
Registered
9,244 Posts
I've used Valvoline Dex/Merc for the last 100K miles or so...

No probs yet!
;)

·
Administrator
6,426 Posts
I use Valvoline Maxlife in my GC.

·
Registered
9,244 Posts
Based on the dealership i went with Reccomended Valvoline ATF+4 Full Synthetic

How interesting is that?

On that note, i wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they tried to tell you that your muffler bearing needed replacement before your Jeep exploded, or that you're leaking headlight fluid and you might get pulled over by the police and fined!

I think your Stealership can SUCK IT!!! :rolleyes:

The people that aren't trying to sell ya stuff that you don't need, will continue to tell you that DEX/Merc is just fine...

Just sayin'
;)

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
How interesting is that?

On that note, i wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they tried to tell you that your muffler bearing needed replacement before your Jeep exploded, or that you're leaking headlight fluid and you might get pulled over by the police and fined!

I think your Stealership can SUCK IT!!! :rolleyes:

The people that aren't trying to sell ya stuff that you don't need, will continue to tell you that DEX/Merc is just fine...

Just sayin'
;)
gotta love it when your headlight fluid leaks.. ;) i use that one sometimes. He does not have the AW4, so honestly, i think your supposed to use atf4, its a big no-no in the aw4, but i think the 42re is actually supposed to have it.

·
Registered
9,244 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All i did was go to the Dealership and Confirmed my VIN to find out exactly what Tranny i have. They did that for me and were of Great Help. They told me per my Specs that i need to use only the ATF+4 and it did not matter which brand, he did not try and sell me anything and of course I did not buy their ATF Fluid it is a rip off. I went back to O'Reilly's and simply Exchanged the Dex/Merc for the Valvoline ATF+4 Fully Synthetic stuff that Says right on the package that this is for Chrysler/MOPAR products blah blah blah.

I also added the Lucas Automatc Transmisison Fluid conditioner. I had Grease Monkey Drop the pan and install a new filter and the above Fluids and i actually made it home.

On a side note my Tranny the 42RE has the front and rear adjusting bands. One bolt is next to the pan the other is inside. Unfortunately they do not make these adjustments so i will run my rig for about 3 to 5k then bring it to my Mechanic friend and do another complete flush and filter change and have him adjust the bands.

Anyone know how often these actually need to be Adjusted?

He also found the source of my minor Transmission Leak it is between the Tranny and the Transfer Case.

·
Administrator
6,426 Posts
As far as I know, my 42RE in my 98 GCL was adjusted at 0 miles.

219k later and it still shifts strong.

I'ma go find a tree to knock on right about now... :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been searching the forums and don't see what kind of Transmisison Oil i should use for my 1993 Jeep GC with the 42RE Automatic Tranny? Parts store sold me Dexron/Merc but I saw some people saying only Use ATF4+. The Jeep Dealer said ATF4+ as well.

So my question is which Brand of ATF+4 is preferred by Forum members for this Transmisison and the best results? I am dropping the pan in 2 days and need to know so i can return this Dex/Mer stuff and go buy the best ATF4+ stuff out there.

Are they all Synthetic if not should i change to Synthetic? Thanks for any help.
Schaeffer all trans.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts