Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just got this jeep a couple weeks ago and i just got a chance to take it wheelin. when i engage the 4hi part time and 4low, i havent checked full time yet, the front end makes a horrible like grinding noise when i start driving again. is that my axle gears or something else in the front end needing replaced. 4low starts grinding right away, and hi doesnt start until im going alil faster usually.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
If the ujoints are really bad, then they'll look it. They will look like they're falling apart and dried out. The caps could be cracked, the rubber grommets towards the trunion may be dried out and slipping off. They will also click while you're trying to make turns.

Like Jake said, start with checking your fluids. Since you recently purchased the vehicle, change all the fluids to play on the side of caution (oil, trans, tcase, diffs, coolant, etc.).

·
Registered
231 Posts
Does it feel like its switching out of 4x4 right away?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok just found the the problem. my passenger side u joint is bad. i was spinning the driveline back and fourth while my friend was looking at the u joints and sure enough. it needs to be replaced. how hard is it to replace those?

·
Registered
444 Posts
oh lol oops.. you found the problem..
well heres how..
pull your wheel off
then your brake caliper **dont take the brake line loose.. just unbolt it from the knuckle and set it aside on the lower controll arm
then the 3 bolts inside the knuckle forming a triangle.... take those out.. then it'll probably be rusted in there so you'll have to use a cold chisel and a hammer to separate the hub from the knuckle..
then it'll slide right out..

then once you have it out you can use a vice or a press yo get the wheel joint out of the axles.. DO NOT USE A HAMMER.. dumb red necks and hammers.. do it right or dont touch it lol.. then do everything i just said in reverse.. then wheel the shit out of it some more

·
Registered
444 Posts
im pretty sure those hub bolts take a 15mm, 12 point wrench.. they're going to be tighter than fawk... so you might need to hook two wrenches together for leverage..

try not to destroy the brake dust plate with the chisel..

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
U-joints are pretty easy to do. If you have ABS, make sure you don't damage the toner ring or else your ABS will mal-function and it could become dangerous. If you do have ABS and damage the Toner ring, your best solution until you get a replace outer with toner ring will be to pull the fuse for the ABS.

There is a good write up on u-joint swaps in the Cherokee Technical Articles section of the forum.

·
Budget Master
1,145 Posts
I recently helped my dad fix a almost identlical problem in an old ford

·
Registered
608 Posts
Since you got one side up and apart.... Might as well do the other side too...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so my u joint is not the problem to my grinding. i have a feeling its the gears in the diff. its definitely coming from the front end. so its not my transfer case. i havent pulled the diff cover off yet. but how hard is it to replace the gears in a dana 30?

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Setting up gears is something that should be done by someone who is trained in doing it. Swapping gears isn't a matter of just pulling the ring gear off and putting a new one in, especially if they're making noise. If the gears are making noise, chances are that the tolerances are off and they're off for a reason (bent housing for example).

You can pull the cover and see if your gears are missing teeth, but if you've never swapped gears before I wouldn't do it alone without someone who has done it a few times. It involves measuring pinion depth, backlash, adding/removing shims, etc.

I doubt it's your gears, it's rare for stock gears to go bad/malfunction.

If I were you, I'd check to see if you're missing teeth, if they look like they're in good shape trouble shoot other things. Have you checked your driveshafts and their u-joints?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
all my u joints a good. its weird, like it doesnt really grind if your on decently flat ground but once you start going faster or up or down a hill climb thats when it starts doing it. and the faster you go the more its grinds or pops or w/e its doing. almost like theirs just a few teeth missing and its slipping.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts