Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my question is... when im offroad climbing etc.and i am in 4 hi it seems like its not good at crawling speeds and i must use 4 low and 4 low is sometimes annoying when not climbing hi pitches or rocks and it can slow you down.but sometimes if i get stopped on a incline and im stepping on 4 hi i get a loud motor and rpms i think but im not spinning.but when i use 4 low im fine.......well we all know how nice 4 low is so no exlpanation.obviosly its gearing but are all xj's like this not just mine?its like if i was climbing out of a ditch and im stopped in it and i have to use alot of gas to get out and 4 low i barely touch the pedal.
*and if i must just use 4 low, is too much 4 low bad on the t-case or anything.last summer i recall crackin down haaaard on my 4 low alot,i live at 10,000-13,000 ft so i got alot of (climbs) out here, and i did some hi power looooong distance hi pitch climbs in 4 low.if im doing this should i consider some type of upgrades.i dont wanna rip out anything......havent yet so im aware its a tough jeep.any tips?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i just felt like sometimes,some situations i will step on the gas in 4hi and the engine revs up but the wheels dont turn (if i give it alot of gas of course it goes).obviosly this is when i need 4 lo but,is there some gearing i can get that will improve my hi ,just a bit.or just deal with it and use the low

·
Registered
412 Posts
If you have lower axle gears, it will help somewhat.

But the reality is, 4lo is there, use it. You can drive quite fast in it if you want. Unless I'm in snow I find I tend to leave it in 4lo on the trail. Unless I'm with certain people, who will run me out of gear. If we hit road, I will shift though.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright then thanks guys

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
Since you have a 5 speed it shouldn't be too much trouble in 4-lo. That's pretty much all I ever use offroad, and for the most part I stay in 2nd gear. When I need it I drop down to 1st.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im auto

·
Registered
19 Posts
As mentioned above I would definately consider lower diff gears. I pretty much have the same setup as you Lift/tires/tranny, I'm also in CO and get to the higher elevations frequently, i'm stuck on rather I want 4.10's or 4.56's. Either way, even 4.10's would perform a great deal better than the stock 3.55's, which i'm assuming is what you have.

·
Registered
19 Posts
3.55 to 4.10 is hardly a noticable difference...
The more feedback like that I get, the more i'm leaning towards 4.56's. I have never regeared with any of my past XJ's, I lived in an area that was very flat so I didn't worry. Now that I frequent the high country, its a PITA trying to get over passes with 32's and stock gearing.

·
Registered
412 Posts
There is a nice ol' chart out there that shows RPM vs tire size vs gear ratio. It is worth finding if you really want to know. But the general consensous is that really the stock gear ratios were too high anyways. Throw a little bigger tires on there, and think about going much lower.

Honestly, I'll drive anything. I did 4.10s with 35s and 4.56s with 37s and a BA-10. It involved lots of clutch smoke, but I found it fine on road (it was squirrly anyways, didn't want too much extra jam).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah, i've seen that chart in a couple different variations on a couple different sites. It seems like the General consensus on tires and gearing for XJ's (based on some of the other forums) is that 4.10's are good for 31's and 32's, however I think i'm with you on going much lower. I just need to stop thinking about it and do it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Well, part of the problem also is the 'next' set of tires will bring the temptation to go with 33s or 34s. Don't deny it. You're already thinking about it. Add a little extra gear now so it is livable later - you won't regret it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
its not that big of a deal,i can deal with it.4 lo is fine.but 33's ive been thinking hard for a month on them.i like my 32's.i have alot of articulation room and i need it baad up here,no rubbing,i afraid 33's will rub.i like bieng able to just power thru stuff rub worry free,(with wheels turned 100%) worried 33's will take from that and also power on road.its my daily driver so......

·
Premium Member
9,248 Posts
my question is... when im offroad climbing etc.and i am in 4 hi it seems like its not good at crawling speeds and i must use 4 low and 4 low is sometimes annoying when not climbing hi pitches or rocks and it can slow you down.but sometimes if i get stopped on a incline and im stepping on 4 hi i get a loud motor and rpms i think but im not spinning.but when i use 4 low im fine.......well we all know how nice 4 low is so no exlpanation.obviosly its gearing but are all xj's like this not just mine?its like if i was climbing out of a ditch and im stopped in it and i have to use alot of gas to get out and 4 low i barely touch the pedal.
*and if i must just use 4 low, is too much 4 low bad on the t-case or anything.last summer i recall crackin down haaaard on my 4 low alot,i live at 10,000-13,000 ft so i got alot of (climbs) out here, and i did some hi power looooong distance hi pitch climbs in 4 low.if im doing this should i consider some type of upgrades.i dont wanna rip out anything......havent yet so im aware its a tough jeep.any tips?
You don't have to worry about how much you use 4Lo. It can be used indefinitely as long as it has proper lubricant in it. S[peed shouldn't be an issue. You should be able to get up to about 50 mph in 4th gear. It might be best if you just planned ot use low range off road. This won't abuse your Jeep in any way.

·
Registered
934 Posts
If you really wanna kill the rocks...4.88!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts