Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am new to jeeps and need a bit of help. is the 4x4 on these vacuum or mechanical? i cant get my 4x4 handle to lift even a little bit. this is on an 89 I6 laredo... where do i need to start looking/checking?

TIA

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your transfer case ---4x4 engagement is both mec. and vacume! It sounds like your prob. is mech. you need to get underneath your cherokee and adj. your linkage per spec. ____ Any ref. man. will explain the correct proc. As will a quick search on the internet

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Try checking the linkage first. If for some reason it is bent or jammed against something, your handle will not move. It may also need adjustment. Post up what you find, if it's not that I'm sure we'll throw more suggestions at ya.

·
Registered
103 Posts
is the handle supposed to be flat, mine sits at about a 15 degree angle up from the council. it goed into 4 high, and neutral, but hits the council before getting to 4 low

·
Premium Member
9,268 Posts
Are you moving while you try to shift it?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
is the handle supposed to be flat, mine sits at about a 15 degree angle up from the council. it goed into 4 high, and neutral, but hits the council before getting to 4 low
you shifting linkage is bent my 98 use to do that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Try checking the linkage first. If for some reason it is bent or jammed against something, your handle will not move. It may also need adjustment. Post up what you find, if it's not that I'm sure we'll throw more suggestions at ya.
ok what do i need to look for? i am mechanically inclined, however i am new to 4WD and jeeps. (im used to lowering 2wd trucks) when i am looking at the transfer case what do i need to be looking for?

200XJ said:
Yep, check that linkage. They're actually a pretty thin and flimsy piece of metal, and too much force will cause it to bend. They're very easy to replace though, no worries.
where is this located at, and what is it supposed to look like? and would a haynes or chiltons show it?

sorry to ask so many questions, i just want to make sure i know what i am looking for, so i dont just hop under there and fiddle with shit i shouldnt be!! plus i want to take this thing off road a bit, but dont want to without the 4x4!!

thanks
matt

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
The transfercase is behind the trans, held up by the horizontal crossmember just about where the front door and rear door meet in the middle of the rig. The linkage will be to the front of the crossmember on the driverside.

Crawl under and on the driverside looking up, you will see a lever coming through the tub. That lever will connect to the linkage.

It will look something like what you see in the right half of this photo:

A Haynes or Chiltons should show it, but I'm not sure if they do. As for bending it back, you may be able to, but then you'll have issues shifting unless you get it nearly perfect. You're going to have to remove it to straighten it, so you might as well just install a new one. If you have any doubt, just snap a few pics of what you see and post them up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The transfercase is behind the trans, held up by the horizontal crossmember just about where the front door and rear door meet in the middle of the rig. The linkage will be to the front of the crossmember on the driverside.

Crawl under and on the driverside looking up, you will see a lever coming through the tub. That lever will connect to the linkage.

It will look something like what you see in the right half of this photo:

A Haynes or Chiltons should show it, but I'm not sure if they do. As for bending it back, you may be able to, but then you'll have issues shifting unless you get it nearly perfect. You're going to have to remove it to straighten it, so you might as well just install a new one. If you have any doubt, just snap a few pics of what you see and post them up.
alright, i appreciate it. i will take a look when i get home and post up my findings...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts