Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have become set on the Iron Rock Off-road 5.5 inch Rock Lift kit for my XJ because of the quality, price, and use of a tri link front. I want to build a reasonable daily driver and weekend rig. I plan on running 33s. Is this to tall for my use case? I doubt I will be doing off camber wheeling very often. Mainly Rocky Mountains and trails. Other than shims for pinion angle, SYE, and a new driveshaft, will anything else be needed to maintain proper handling and ride quality? Maybe you guys can recommend another kit if there is something better out there?

Here is the URL to the kit: XJ 5.5" ROCK-LINK PRO Long Arm Lift Kit - Iron Rock Off Road

Thank you,

James

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Howdy. Can you give us an idea of how new you are to the world of lifting an XJ? Its better to know your experience before I give you the full speech. Im pretty tempted to just start posting links you should be reading as it is.
Whats you starting base, stock? Does it have anything on it already?

·
Premium Member
10,111 Posts
That is a good true three link. I built my own, but use the same design and love it. Bear in mind that kit makes the exhaust a little tricky, but a friend of mine ended up routing the exhaust up the transmission tunnel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have read virtually all there is to read on the forums about lifted XJ’s as well as in person discussion. My jeep is fully stock. It is a 1999. What has to be done differently to make exhaust work on the kit I listed?

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Great! Stock is a nice starting point so you know everything that needs doing on a lift that height. I don't know if IRO has all the bits an pieces in that kit, but don't forget details like longer brake lines and such. Goodluck

·
Registered
186 Posts
I assume you meant to link the standard 5.5" lift with rear leafs vs the rear 4 link conversion. Correct? Only asking cuz the link above is for the converted coil setup and that's a whole different animal vs a standard xj lift

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I assume you meant to link the standard 5.5" lift with rear leafs vs the rear 4 link conversion. Correct? Only asking cuz the link above is for the converted coil setup and that's a whole different animal vs a standard xj lift
yes the standard 3 link up front with leafs in the back. I posted the URL to the exact kit In question

·
Premium Member
10,111 Posts
I have read virtually all there is to read on the forums about lifted XJ’s as well as in person discussion. My jeep is fully stock. It is a 1999. What has to be done differently to make exhaust work on the kit I listed?
The link you posted is for the linked rear also. But now you are saying you will use the three link with standard leaves in the rear. If that is so, then nothing

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The link you posted is for the linked rear also. But now you are saying you will use the three link with standard leaves in the rear. If that is so, then nothing
Oh. You are right, my apologies. Know that is my choice, do you think that’s a good kit and is a reasonable height for daily driving and weekend wheeling? Do you have any other recommendedations?

·
Premium Member
10,111 Posts
It will be a good kit. Get all your geometry right and it will drive with good manners on and off road

1 - 10 of 10 Posts