Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im somewhat new to Cherokees and I was wondering what motors can be swaped around in them. I have an 87 right now and it has a 4.0 in it but its bad, so I was going to throw somehting else in there but need to know what else will bolt up to the rest of the stock stuff. Its just a beater so ill just throw that in there, very little rode use.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Why not swap in a '87 stroker? That's what I'd do, I hate doing swaps that aren't straight up, plus I want one of those 4.6 or 4.7's in a bad way...

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont have another problem putting another 4.0 in there, I was jsut wondering what else is out there. What all year 4.0's will fit in there? Also what are some average prices on a 4.0 I have found some for 250-300 Is there anything extremely common that will go in there that is bigger that a 4.0? Also if I go buy anothe 4.0 is there anything on them that I should look for or be aware of. Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also like I said I dont have the money to swap anythng besides the motor, Im in college lol

·
Registered
608 Posts
4.0 is prob the best bet for keep it on the cheap...
Gotta miss the days of the non- or lightly- computerized cars.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats what I figured. Thanks Anyone have one in good shape for sale? Im in the eastern side of Ohio. Ill drive up to 2 hours

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
is there any other years that would go in fairly easy? Reason being most '87 motors will probably be well used.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Well even if it's from '87, if its checked out or freshsened up, it's fine.
And I have only seen 2 XJ's in my life with under 100,000 on it... Mine when it was new and someone on the forum has one with like 95000 on it.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
you can fit 87-90 model years. You have what we call a RENIX engine. No computer.

You can swap a 91+ but then there are different wiring harness's and what not stick with Renix

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well im in Ohio on the easter side in the middle. Im looking for a motor for it and a new automatic tranny. If anyone know of any let me know. Need ot get her done and tested before the Memorial Day weekend

1 - 15 of 15 Posts