Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
replaced cap,rotor and wires,fuel filter also pump sounds fine . new problem, just started. whats my next step? on the fuel rail there is a a needle valve but its frozen on so cant really check. this possibly ignition or is it an injector problem maybe. thanks for the help!:cheers: sorry 88 cherokee. its my buddies ride

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Honestly, nothing probably. Could just be bad gas. I have had this problem before and it screws everything up. Just run it it down and through new gas in it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Backfiring

If you changed your cap and wires you might want to check firing order perhaps a plug wire is on the wrong cylinder,its worth looking at .:brickwall:

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
If you changed your cap and wires you might want to check firing order perhaps a plug wire is on the wrong cylinder,its worth looking at .:brickwall:
On that note check your work aswell. Its easy to screw a plug up on installation. I would do what tuff-iron said and if theres nothing wrong then re check your work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could be egr valve... The egr system on the renix era was somewhat problematic, hence the reason that chrysler did away with them on the HO. I would definitely check that next if you have already covered all of the other things... Sounds like the valve may be stuck part of the way open or something along that line, probably from carbon built up in it

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Was it doing this prior to repalcing your cap and wires, you could be off on the distributor... Have you checked your timing out?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Did you make sure that your spark plugs were gapped correctly. When you buy plugs they aren't pre-gapped for your specific vehicle. Especially plugs that you would buy at your local auto parts store.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Guessing by what you said about the problem starting right after replacing the plugs and wires it sounds to me like its a spark plug gapping problem. I see this all the time at the garage I work at during the summer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
:agree:with Mudbogger.....It is so easy to bump the plug electrode on the head especially when putting those back ones in. If you can't find anything else obvious, pull your plugs one at a time, starting from the back, and re-check gap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts